Best carol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hark the Herald ... for my money.

wafflycat

beanzontoast said:
That'll be one of those 'modern' carols then..?

:smile:

Aye, it sort of best sums up the spirit of a modern consumerist Christmas :tongue:

Mind you, I am partial to 'In The Bleak Midwinter' I mean, let's face, it, the first verse truly describes cycling at this time of year.. when you have that first, icy-slip 'off' at this time of year. :blush:

"In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago"

wafflycat said:
Aye, it sort of best sums up the spirit of a modern consumerist Christmas :tongue:

Mind you, I am partial to 'In The Bleak Midwinter' I mean, let's face, it, the first verse truly describes cycling at this time of year.. when you have that first, icy-slip 'off' at this time of year. :blush:

"In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago"

Yes - still got the bruise on my hip! :smile:

wafflycat

Morrisette said:
The Holly and the Ivy - some great pre-Christian imagery in there!

Oh yes, that is a good one. Of the 'traditional' ones I do like "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" "Good Christian Men Rejoice!" "Angels From The Realms Of Glory" "Deck The Halls" then one I haven't heard in full for many years, "The Gloucestershire Wassail"

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Dave5N said:
Nah. Gorra be Silent Night. The German copy is ok as well.

The English version is a copy of the German original 'Stille Nacht'.

My favourites:-
Stille Nacht - sung by a children's choir at midnight mass
Away in a manger
Adeste Fidelis (in Latin)

There's a carol about German mad men!

Does anyone remember Mrs Thatcher unveiling BA's new livery? Just as she lifted a cover off an aircraft, a band started to play that well known German carol 'O Tannenbaum', (O Christmas Tree) and she walked off. 'O Tannenbaum' shares the tune with the Labour Party's 'The Red Flag'.

Top Bottom