Your best ever music concert?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
What’s the best music concert you’ve ever been to?
Pictures would be great to see too.

I’ll start with the concert that has prompted this thread, Coldplay at The Etihad Manchester last night were quite simply the best band I’ve ever seen live.
The show was spectacular, the sound, the atmosphere and the energy made this one memorable experience.

5C11B52D-9BCE-4247-9195-57DBE697B0C4.jpeg

E80FD3AE-F857-48FE-AF51-56CCB0A360C8.jpeg

8574239A-1317-4B18-B603-1F1A82C2031C.jpeg

67473500-86E1-47E7-AA5B-9CE362FB600D.jpeg

691CB2F5-FB8E-4A8D-9BEE-82265456DE59.jpeg

5AA49185-8E84-44CE-A186-607F19BC6191.jpeg

DRM

Guru
Bon Jovi at the same venue, where Mrs DRM yelled “Ritchie“at the top of her voice just as at went quiet, Richie Sambora stopped playing, tipped his hat and bowed in our direction! Also saw them at Wembley they were a brilliant band, shame about Jon’s voice and Richie Sambora’s previous problems, also in Manchester, Bryan Adams, fantastic show, and I had no idea of the existence of Schaller strap locks, and was gobsmacked when his guitarist flung his Stratocaster round his neck and back into playing position without disaster

winjim

Smash the cistern
Two 80s / 90s bands pleasantly surprised me by still being awesome well into the 00s. Public Enemy at Sheffield in 2005ish and New Order at Jodrell Bank 2013. Honorable mention to Nine Inch Nails who were so good we came straight home from the gig and booked tickets for the following night as well.

FB_IMG_1685990585046.jpg

Not the PE gig I'm thinking of but Tramlines a few years later, still good though

FB_IMG_1685990661173.jpg

NIN

IMG-20220520-WA0005.jpg

Missed out on seeing Terminator X with PE but DJ Lord is good. Hooky had left New Order by 2013 but I did see the classic reformed lineup at Reading Festival in the 90s.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
One of the following:
- Sultans of Ping FC, New Cross Venue, London 1992 or 3 - stagediving madness
- Primal Scream, Bristol Academy. 1993 (I think) - actually an all night rave with a gig in the middle
- Blur, Parklife tour, supported by Elastica. University of East Anglia, 1994 - so bouncy
- Prodigy, Glastonbury 1995 -everyone else was watching Oasis

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Probably Guns N Roses at the Milton Keynes Bowl back in 1993.

More recently there was a double header of Holiday Ghosts and the Bug Club at the Portland Arms in Canbridge last year that was pure indie heaven.

Difficult choice

Kate Rusby
;
Wakefield Cathedral
Minimal backing. fantastic set

The Stray Cats;
Manchester Apollo 2019
40th anniversary tour
New & old tracks interspersed
To see Setzers guitar technique was great!

Steve Earle;
'Townes' tour (2006?)
Leeds Grand Theatre
Solo, with just a guitar & a mandolin

Johnny Cash;

25th anniversary tour
Sheffield 1977
With parents

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks mostly to my ex, while not a huge gig-goer I've seen a few favourites live - NIN, Radiohead, Massive Attack... tbh I've never found large gigs particularly enjoyable (maybe for reasons more relevant to myself than the environment). Of those three Radiohead were probably the best.

I've had far, far better experiences with the same artists / tunes while off my face dancing badly on my own in a dingy club tbh :smile:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Michael Jackson. Bad Tour, Wembley 1988. The man was in his pomp as an artist. Nothing close.

Followed by some people I didn't intend to see - Vodafone used to have an annual ball for c10000 employees (seriously!) and the 2003 one was at Highclere Castle. The acts were always a secret, but that year they were Lulu, Liberty X, Bryan Adams and headlined by Robbie Williams. Remarkable evening. Mind you the following year was at Blenheim Palace and Elton John headlined and was a right load of pony :angry:

Top Bottom