Your best ever music concert?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Just remembered another contender, Glen Tilbrook and Chris Difford playing an acoustic set at the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal on my birthday several years ago. They did some Squeeze, then a few solo ones each then finished with some more Squeeze. What a great night.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hard to say having been to 1000's of gigs over the years. Especially as its part of my day job.
Off the top of my head
ZZ Top Brixton Academy 10 years back
Roger Waters The Wall Hamburg 2009
Secret Motorhead gig at the Marquee Brian Robertson era
Husker Du Electric Ballroom 87
Twisted Sister Lyceum 83
Rammstein Brixton Academy

I could go on....

Perhaps Prince at Maine Road on his Diamond and Pearl Tour ? Glorious day and right near the front.
Or New Order playing the Farm near my house. Absolutely fantastic and low key. Great night.

Chislenko

Veteran
Mine was long before mobile phones with cameras.

Parliament / Funkadelic / Parlet / The Brides of Funkenstein at the Kings Hall, Belle Vue, Manchester, 1978.

Unfortunately they didn't bring the Mother Ship from the States.

I still have the T-Shirt!!

Last edited:
This was a good one .... 1987, very tense atmosphere for some reason and swarming with the old bill :okay:
1686083565738.png

Mine was long before mobile phones with cameras.

Parliament / Funkadelic / Parlet / The Brides of Funkenstein at the Kings Hall, Belle Vue, Manchester, 1978.

Unfortunately they didn't bring the Mother Ship from the States.

I still have the T-Shirt!!

That sounds bloody brilliant

Adam4868

Guru
Stone Roses...Blackpool Empress ballroom in 89.
Buzzcocks in 1990 Coogee Bay hotel... Sydney.
Loads of concerts inbetween just a few are that memorable though.
Then The Good the Bad and the Queen at North Pier Blackpool in 2018...(Damon Alburn supergroup) Met him the day of the concert in Blackpool and had a chat/laugh with him.He had been recording a album here and wanted to play a concert at the end of the pier.Anyway class concerts that have all left great memories.
Shame I was so bolloxed at them all 😁

Chislenko

Veteran
That sounds bloody brilliant

It was Grant Fondo, at one point there must have been circa 50 musicians on the stage (they used to perloin musicians from Bootsy Collins and Sly Stone) . A lot of the touring compliment musicians for Parliament at that time we're the original JB's (James Brown 's band)

It's hard to think Parliament started as a "doowop" band but also prior to their transformation to P Funk also had Northern Soul hits with "Don't Be Sore At Me" etc

I'll post a picture of the concert T Shirt tomorrow (it is now in a frame).

DRM

Guru
Another one that turned out better than expected was Madonna at Roundhay Park, Leeds, was dragged along by Mrs DRM, prior to us getting married, but the gig was surprisingly good, and the last one was the Halle Orchestra in Manchester, they were really good.

Chislenko

Veteran
My big claim to fame, long story but bear with me, is singing on stage with the brilliant Ann Peebles.

Ann will be best known for being the original singer of "I Can't Stand The Rain" and "I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down" amongst other great tunes.

So, many years ago I lived just outside Oxford (Bicester) and at weekends to supplement my income from the Car Factory (Cowley) I would drive a taxi. One of the most popular destinations from the train station was the USAF base at Upper Heyford (I think now a housing estate).

So every weekend at Upper Heyford there would be a different soul / Motown artist playing.

I got quite friendly with a few Americans on base and got invited to their live music pub. You had to go to the bank first and get Dollars as that was all that was accepted on base.

You also had to negotiate the gate guards with their sidearms!!

So, back to the story I got talking to Ann Peebles at the bar and asked her to sing a particular song.

She was amazed that a Brit person would even know the song so she duly sang it, halfway through she paused the song and brought me on to the stage to sing with her! By my own admission my singing voice is not great but we had fun and the Americans in the audience seemed to appreciate it as I never paid for another beer all night!

Top Bottom