Best Cheap Disc Wheelset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I really, really like my Triban RC520.

I really, really don't like the wheels.

Looking at upgrading, but also keeping it affordable. What are your recommendations for the best sub-£300 disc wheelset?

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at superstar components. There’s usually a discount code hanging around

Tom B

Guru
There is the superstar offer and you can pick up Shimano mt15 for around the same price weight.

My MT15 had come bearings and bladed spokes.

I think the superstar are marginally lighter. They seem decent value at £119 not sure I'd pay £239 for them.

vickster

Legendary Member
I went for the Superstar as they have plenty of spokes (I’m no lightweight :blush:).
I paid £180 just before they discounted further :rolleyes:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Forgive me but I thought most shoppers would be rather more savvy than that. It’s a trick used by many retailers, online or otherwise. Sellers can simply up their price and then say 50% off to bring it back to their original price so the phrase is really meaningless. You need to compare what you are actually getting for your money to other suppliers.

OP
OP
A

Aussie Rider in London

Forgive me but I thought most shoppers would be rather more savvy than that. It’s a trick used by many retailers, online or otherwise. Sellers can simply up their price and then say 50% off to bring it back to their original price so the phrase is really meaningless. You need to compare what you are actually getting for your money to other suppliers.

In answer, they have a wheelset at £120.

Well aware of digital marketing strategies, but that price is pretty damn good.

The other set I'm looking at are these: https://road.cc/content/review/prime-baroudeur-road-disc-wheelset-272611.

They look good value at £240, and are 400g lighter per wheel than the superstar ones, so pretty significant performance difference.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If think if you're prepared to spend the extra the Prime set look good. Road CC have given them a good write up and generally know what they are talking about. The spares availability is a plus, so there is an advantage at comparing specs and performance rather than being awed by discounts.

Mark pallister

Don’t buy anything with alloy nipples ,my v expensive Reynolds carbon wheels the nipples are all coroded away so the wheels can’t be trued and both need complete rebuilds
only 2yr old ☹️

Globalti

Legendary Member
Friends and I bought three sets of Superstar wheels and within a year all three were scrap. Soft, weak rims and poor bearings. Who said you can have cheap, light and strong but only two of those at any time? The Superstar wheels were cheap and light.

Mavic Aksium or take a look at the Hunt website, they are good value.

Tom B

Guru
Friends and I bought three sets of Superstar wheels and within a year all three were scrap. Soft, weak rims and poor bearings. Who said you can have cheap, light and strong but only two of those at any time? The Superstar wheels were cheap and light.

Which wheels?

Top Bottom