Best chrome/metal polish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Can anyone recommend a good polish to see it I can make my Hill Special with a chrome finish frame shine again ,or a least make it a little less dull ,is it going to be Duraglit or something like that or is there a better product out there ,also after I have fitted new transfers I intend to lacquer the frame ,so if I polish it ,fit transfers and then lacquer it will the polish affect the lacquer as in react with it and spoil the finish . I have managed to get every speck of red paint off the frame and going to work on the idea of keeping it as it originally was with its original chrome finish all be it a bit faded ,tarnished and some rusty bits ,but the frame is sound and you can very much see and appreciate the quality of the build and the engineering behind it with its bare finish .

midlife

Guru
I've always used Solvol Autosol. If there is rust you need to reduce it back to metal with something like aluminium foil / oxalic acid. By reduce I mean the chemical reaction...

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Thanks midlife ,I have just been looking into oxalic acid and I do like the aluminium method had good results with it in the past .

midlife

Guru
I use the aluminium foil method on chrome too :smile:. I use it with vinegar, a few extra protons can't go amis. Small bits go into oxalic acid. I bought mine off ebay marketed as a wood cleaner.

I'm sure 3M do some wipes to remove stuff before applying paint and lacquer.

Top Bottom