Best Climbs In Western Scotland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DeepBurn

Über Member
I'm starting to plan my route for a 4 day tour of Western Scotland next year.

I realise that it's probably fairly hilly anyway ^_^ but what are the best climbs in that region? If you had to pick one tough climb for a tour in that part of the world which would it be?

snorri

Legendary Member
Bealach na Ba.

stephenjubb

Über Member
Have a look at the attached file, 230 miles of pure hell, crap weather and wind (usually headwind).
It's regarded as some of the toughest cycling in the country. I have ridden it with a fully loaded self supporting tourer.

However the scenery is absolutely spectacular, sparsely populated, no traffic, quiet, some parts on a parallel with Alaska and switzerland for views (about 10 miles south of scourie).

You'll have a great sense of achievement when you have done it.

Oh and you will most likely cycle it as buses are few and far between and no trains!!!!

Attachments

• PureHell.png
    PureHell.png
    111 KB · Views: 82
  • PureHell.png
    PureHell.png
    111 KB · Views: 75
  • PureHell.png
    PureHell.png
    111 KB · Views: 71

stephenjubb

Über Member
forgot to mention everywhere you look you see mountains and there is a hidden gem that's like a mediterean beach (two in fact).

You have to go to find them but worth it once you see them (and they're empty).

OP
OP
DeepBurn

DeepBurn

Über Member
Have a look at the attached file, 230 miles of pure hell, crap weather and wind (usually headwind).
It's regarded as some of the toughest cycling in the country. I have ridden it with a fully loaded self supporting tourer.

However the scenery is absolutely spectacular, sparsely populated, no traffic, quiet, some parts on a parallel with Alaska and switzerland for views (about 10 miles south of scourie).

Oh and you will most likely cycle it as buses are few and far between and no trains!!!!

I bet it is worth all the pain. Not sure I'll have time (or the fitness!) next year but looks like a future challenge.

Have you got a blog of your journey?

stephenjubb

Über Member
I've got photos and videos but to be honest every night I'm so knackered I can't be bothered to keep a blog.

Even when not tired I have little time with setting up camp, cycling, cooking etc.

When I do have a bit of spare time I want to read and nothing else.

Although this time I have kept a log of where I've been and what route so I can match the photos with the map and even that takes some discipline.

samid

Veteran

How long did it take you, and did you go north to south or the other way round? (I'm planning a trip to Scotland next spring/summer now, and have never toured in that part so this is a definite possibility... another one I consider is islands hopping).

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It's regarded as some of the toughest cycling in the country.
I see you missed out the toughest section of road - the coast road north of Lochinver/Achmelvich through Drumbeg ;-)

stephenjubb

Über Member
I see you missed out the toughest section of road - the coast road north of Lochinver/Achmelvich through Drumbeg ;-)

It was a bit hard to do on the map but yes I cycled that, two weeks ago. You are right it was one of the hardest, that section took me three days, lots of sweets and stimulant drinks!

stumpy66

Veteran

Ive done that route from Ullapool up to Durness, it is tough but as you say stunning, if coming back down we went thru Altnaharra to Lairg and back to Ullapool - defo worth doing

that's part of what I am planning for Christmas/New Year. I say part because we want to go to one of our favourite campsites at Sheigra but it is all weather (and more importantly, leg) dependant. Not worried about the cold (done much colder), its just the idea of 15 days of torrential rain that is currently not appealing to me for my 40th birthday!

Herbie

Veteran

I did the north west route in June.Absolutely amazing scenery,lots of climbing but great descents..the 10 miles before Scourie was particularly hard going...worth it though.

Alberto

I second Bealach Na Ba as a good one, having just done it last week on a heavy tourer. It did not get to see the promised views from the top, but the climb itself was enjoyable and not particularly tough except the very last km before the famous zig-zag roads. On a clear day it must be awesome. I believe that the road that continues on to Applecross and round the peninsula is quite bumpy also.

The fish bar in Kishorn is good and you will pass it as you go on to the road leading to Bealach Na Ba.

https://plus.google.com/116442263346268484691/about?hl=en

Top Bottom