Best clipless system in snow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I rode into work today & for the most part it was okay. I swapped over to SPD cleats but the problem was when I stopped in snow I spent a good 10-15 seconds clearing the snow from my cleat with the side of my pedal before it would engage in the pedal. Not exactly the greatest idea in the world.

I've had a look around & I reckon the best clipless system for snow is Speedplay Frogs . Would people agree with this or do they all get bunged up with snow?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I rode for three hours y'day, and didn't clog once, didn't have a problem last winter either. There are at least two sorts of Shimano clipless mechanisms and one sort clogs in clay and snow and I find the other doesn't.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Personally, I like flats in the snow. I don't ride long distances when the weather's like this, but I like the ability to plonk both feet down VERY quickly a lot. And I say that as someone who did some 4,700 miles in SPDs, SPD-SL last year, and not unused to clipless.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
I rode for three hours y'day, and didn't clog once, didn't have a problem last winter either. There are at least two sorts of Shimano clipless mechanisms and one sort clogs in clay and snow and I find the other doesn't.
I've not had problems with SPDs cloging up with mud on rides, the mechanism can be pushed through the mud, but what I've found today is that snow compresses into the area around the cleat so that it's almost ice leaving no way for the pedal to 'grab' the cleat.

JtM, speed difference at getting my foot to the ground clipless or flat pedals is negligible. However finding the centre of pressure from my foot has moved behind the pedal axle is an instant off at almost any speed. This happened a lot when I was riding on flat pedals.

kishan

i personally would get them for snow or icey weather as you wanna de-camp of the bike fast if you need to last thing you want is to be attached to the bike as you fall lol

zizou

Veteran
i've never used speedplay frogs but while the pedal will be ok i wonder if the cleat might have some problems with compacted snow and ice.

eggbeaters would be a good option they are really good for clearing mud

VamP

Banned
Eggbeaters are superb for both ease of clipping and unclipping, and also their mud or snow shedding capabilities are legendary.

ushills

Veteran
I use Time Atacs and they didnt clog in last years snow.

zigzag

Veteran
i use speedplay frogs (but not in snow) and i can't see them working well in snow. the cleat is like an upside down plate which would fill up with snow and not engage. maybe eggbeaters are the best for clearing snow, but i wouln't trust them for other reasons.

merida100

Regular
Hi had egg beaters for around 8 years and never had any issues with them just maintain them and they last and im 16 stone and they work come rain,mud snow or shine

Top Bottom