Best CX bike for £1,000 or less?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
Can anyone offer any insights into how much (if at all) this frame swap is a step down over the Reynolds? And also how the Eq10 geometry would compare with the likes of the CAADX?
Any feedback on this would also be massively appreciated...
I see it has a 50/34 ratio as opposed to the CAADX's 46/36 - did you find that made a big difference to the ride in anyway? Can anyone explain to me what that means exactly in practical terms? That the CAADX gives more ratios for hills and the Focus is better set up to push harder on the flat like a road bike would be my assumption but maybe I've got that wrong

Cheers all

I can't give you a comparison with the Genesis, but I can tell you the CAADX has quite a 'heads up' riding position compared to my CAAD8. So much so that I dropped the bars a couple of spacers and it's still more upright.
The 50/34 chainrings are are a compact set, the 46/36 are 'proper' CX rings. It does bugger all to the ride, all it means is that you're going to spin out at around the 30mph mark with the CX rings.

OP
OP
S

Steezy

Regular
I can't give you a comparison with the Genesis, but I can tell you the CAADX has quite a 'heads up' riding position compared to my CAAD8. So much so that I dropped the bars a couple of spacers and it's still more upright.
The 50/34 chainrings are are a compact set, the 46/36 are 'proper' CX rings. It does bugger all to the ride, all it means is that you're going to spin out at around the 30mph mark with the CX rings.

Thanks. I am thinking that a road bike might be too full-on for commuting in terms of riding position, so this is another point in favour of the CAADX and similar. Re: the gearing, broadly translated does this mean that 46/36 would be smoother generally in terms of smaller gaps between each gear, and better for someone living somewhere flat, whereas 50/34 will involve bigger jumps between each gear but be better for hills, with more low gears for getting up and more high gears for getting down?

OP
OP
S

Steezy

Regular
@John S
Thanks for the info you posted on Genesis. I'm having trouble finding much info online about the new frames or any comparison between the Mjolnir and the old Reynolds. I can't actually find the bit in the catalogue that you've quoted, but I think with the Equilibriums it's a drop not from 520 to Mjolnir as with the Day One but from Reynolds 725 to Mjolnir. The Equilibriums higher up the range are all 725 anyway and the bike shop website I'm looking at now has this description -

The Reynolds 725 frameset of the 2014 range makes way for the cheaper Mjölnir double butted cromoly frameset and the chainset becomes FSA Omega Mega Exo.Retained for 2015 are the 27.2mm seatpost for enhanced comfort and, of course, the full mudguard capability.

So I guess even more of a step-down for the Eq10? I don't actually understand the tubing numbers properly anyway in terms of real-world impact on weight and ride, but as far as I can tell 725 uses stronger steel than 520 so the tubes can be made thinner (ergo bike becomes lighter). Can't find any info. on how the Mjolnir stacks up weigth and quality-wise but common sense suggsests if it's cheaper it's likely to be inferior....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Mythste, doesnt yhe Focus Mares have bosses for racks both on the front and rear? There are not many bikes where you get front bosses. It makes a big difference if you want to Tour on it in the summer,

OP
OP
S

Steezy

Regular
@vickster -thanks so much for all your help.

Also if you manage to get a test ride on an Equlibrium I'd also like to hear back on what you think.
@John S - I've just booked a test ride on an Eq10 in York tomorrow so I'll let you know on Monday how it went. Now just hoping the one 54cm they have left in is my size and that Evans have some CXs in in my size so that I can dash there after and compare.

Forecast looking good for York on Saturday...m'cited!!!!!

mythste

Veteran
Mythste, doesnt yhe Focus Mares have bosses for racks both on the front and rear? There are not many bikes where you get front bosses. It makes a big difference if you want to Tour on it in the summer,

No bosses on the front as far as I'm aware, I'll have a proper look when I get home! Definitely both points accounted for on the back though.

clid61

Veteran
Yeah, my LBS who couldn't get a Cube Race in were pushing me towards one of those instead but I just find it looks too 'American' somehow. Glad you're enjoying the ride though :smile:

Really hope you find what you want , see where youre coming from with the American thingy bit , I like it , it suits my needs im happy !^_^

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
No bosses on the front as far as I'm aware, I'll have a proper look when I get home! Definitely both points accounted for on the back though.

The Focus Mares AX has, i have just been looking at my "Lust" photos. I lust for quite a while before I make a decision.

20141211_154907_zpsdtuuxdlt.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
It's not pretty like the Genesis though ;) No pedals will suit you well though, just watch out for the cranks on your shins :biggrin:

outlash

also available in orange
Thanks. I am thinking that a road bike might be too full-on for commuting in terms of riding position, so this is another point in favour of the CAADX and similar. Re: the gearing, broadly translated does this mean that 46/36 would be smoother generally in terms of smaller gaps between each gear, and better for someone living somewhere flat, whereas 50/34 will involve bigger jumps between each gear but be better for hills, with more low gears for getting up and more high gears for getting down?

Road bike for commuting? I see plenty of commuters coming out my local station on road bike (including a CAAD8), it's not a massive difference between the two bikes, but it is noticeable. The gearing and the gaps between gears depends on your groupset and cassette your using, a 10 speed groupset with a 12-25 cassette will have closer spaced gearing than an 8 speed with a 11-28, but IMO you're overthinking it a little on this point, gearing (cassettes & chainrings) is easily changeable and in my experience it'd be hard not to find the right gear unless you're going up or down 20% inclines.

Tony.

Top Bottom