Best Cycleway in England for part of a tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What's the best touring cycleway in England now? With 2021 travel options looking uncertain, I'm looking for ideas closer to home, in case our postponed tour gets cancelled or postponed again, as seems likely. We really enjoyed last year's ride along the Vennbahn, so my mind turns to cycleways. Do we have anything similar in England?

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rail_trails#England the longest ex-railway one is the 37½ miles of the Downs Link from Guildford to Shoreham-on-sea, but it seems like there are now lots of cycleways about 15 miles long (and not all of them ex-railways, despite the below). Can some of them be strung together into a tour easily?

I started sketching a plan with the Water Rail Way Boston-Lincoln-Tuxford which now looks like about 50 miles, even if about 40% is technically small roads rather than cycleway. Boston is not too far from me and then from the Tuxford end, the Bilsthorpe Trail (5mi), Meden Trail (2mi) and Teversal Trail (5mi) plus 27 miles of back roads would connect to the High Peak Trail (15mi) which in turn connects to Tissington Trail (15mi) and Manifold Way (8mi). A return leg could include the Derby Canal and Cloud Trail Greenway which is another 11 mile section, but after that it would be crossing Leicestershire to finish the loop, which looks like yet another failing county for long-distance cycle routes.

If I had more time, I guess I could head south for 4 miles of Great Central Way, 15 of Brampton Valley Way and 13 of St Ives-Cambridge but they're few and far between, really.

Do you know better? Either tweaks to the above route or completely different ideas - even if they're the other side of England to me, I'd still be interested to read reviews of them.

The "part of a tour" requirement is me hoping to exclude a few cycleways that seem to expect people to drive to them or have a road full of nasty fast motorists at one end.

I worked this out Shoreham-by-Sea-to-Southport route last year - https://cycle.travel/map/journey/152056 - which is 340 miles, of which 80% is traffic-free. A few parts are unimproved towpath so it'd be best ridden on a reasonably robust bike. When we're finally allowed out I might have a go at it...

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

I think the question should be phrased as 'what is the least worst cycleway in England'.
Maybe, but optimism.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

It’s mostly easy trails and gentle gradients suitable for bikes, push chairs etc.
My impression of the Trans Pennine Trail is mudbaths, barriers, steps and complaints from its officials about evil cyclists. It does not seem an inviting place to ride - is this a wrong impression?
x-Trans_Pennine_trail._-_geograph.org.uk_-_1709857.jpg

ne_Trail_near_Brampton._-_geograph.org.uk_-_527853.jpg

Blue_Bridge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_959995.jpg

CC-by-SA: steven ruffles / Trans Pennine trail. / CC BY-SA 2.0, Steve F /CC BY-SA 2.0, Mike Kirby / Blue Bridge / CC BY-SA 2.0

The same dislike of rough trails, obstacles and deep mud puts me off the King Alfred Way a bit - and from experience with off-road day rides, I am pretty sure it would put several of those I tour with off even more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

I worked this out Shoreham-by-Sea-to-Southport route last year - https://cycle.travel/map/journey/152056 - which is 340 miles, of which 80% is traffic-free. A few parts are unimproved towpath so it'd be best ridden on a reasonably robust bike. When we're finally allowed out I might have a go at it...
Yes, I am pretty sure the Grand Union Canal towpath between Cosgrove and Blisworth Tunnel is rough dirt track. I'm not sure I could stomach much of that and definitely not 176 miles unpaved - but it might not be quite as bad as shown, as if Wolverton to Cosgrove is "rough" then it has gotten worse since I knew it 25+ years ago which seems possible but unlikely as the Grand Union is fairly solidly built.

Your route through MK seems like a missed opportunity to me, as it sticks rigidly to the towpath even when it turns to dirt, instead of using shorter tarmac routes such as Great Linford to Wolverton. You would also miss the chance to visit either the inspiring peace pagoda on the west bank of Willen Lake and the MK Rose and Belvedere in Campbell Park. Both of these are the views from cycleways, not roads:
Peace_Pagoda_at_Willen_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1362016.jpg

800px-Milton_Keynes%2C_UK_-_panoramio_%286%29.jpg

Sources: Steve Daniels / The Peace Pagoda at Willen / CC BY-SA 2.0, Dmitrij M / The Belvedere / CC BY 3.0

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I started sketching a plan with the Water Rail Way Boston-Lincoln-Tuxford which now looks like about 50 miles, even if about 40% is technically small roads rather than cycleway. Boston is not too far from me and then from the Tuxford end, the Bilsthorpe Trail (5mi), Meden Trail (2mi) and Teversal Trail (5mi) plus 27 miles of back roads would connect to the High Peak Trail (15mi) which in turn connects to Tissington Trail (15mi) and Manifold Way (8mi). A return leg could include the Derby Canal and Cloud Trail Greenway which is another 11 mile section, but after that it would be crossing Leicestershire to finish the loop, which looks like yet another failing county for long-distance cycle routes.
Starting to look like a cracking route 👍
I'll chip in with a few local possibilities that I've covered, although not on tour.
Connected with the Teversal Trail is a network of others including the Silverhill and Five Pits trails, all pretty much interconnected and well worth exploring - Kudos to Derbyshire on this one. [There are a few barriers to negotiate as the trails cross roads]
The above trails take you almost into Chesterfield where you can pick up the central TPT. The Chesterfield Canal provides about 10ish cracking miles towards Sheffield and is in good cycling order throughout. The onwards TPT into Sheff is also generally OK ... for a (sub)urban route.
Northwards from Sheffield to Penistone, the TPT is mostly good, offers some really interesting sections, and is worth putting up with one or two short, iffy sections. Onwards from Penistone, it can be a bit dodgy in winter (muddy) or after extended wet weather, but in summer is generally OK ... and up in the Pennines and onto the moors you get some great views.
A slightly dodgy, but short (and downhill) section drops you briefly on the A628, or you take the off-road but decidely MTB path. The section which follows, through the Longdendale Valley along the former Woodhead line makes that brief inconvenience worth it in my opinion.
That brings you to Glossop and out of my manor somewhat, but from there, there are some fine back roads to take you down to Buxton to pick up the Tissington/High Peak Trails. A slight but not too onerous detour would take you across to Marple to pick up the Peak Forest Canal at Marple to Bugsworth Basin then onwards Buxton via back roads. This section of towpath IIRC is also pretty good, though locals might be able to comment in more detail. It really is a lovely section though, in an elevated position with good views over the valleys.

Hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom