Best Cycleway in England for part of a tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I fear too many people strolling aimlessly along them could be a issue though.
I forgot to respond to this: take good (loud, non-aggressive) bells and be ready to decelerate. Are you in a rush? Most of the peak trails look fairly wide (narrow bits 2m, much 3+m), though, and walkers probably won't be in a rush either, so it may be less conflicted in that way than some urban routes.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] the Monsal has a few tunnels which are fun all have nice views.
:eek: Do all the tunnels have windows out, like those Italian balcony ones?

Cirrus

Veteran
Ha Ha... I wish, no the trails have nice views, some of the views are quite dramatic at the Buxton end of the Monsal Trail, you can often see climbers on the cliff faces and the view at Monsal Head is worth stopping for, better still to wander up the steps there to the Monsal Head hotel, have a pint ,and look down on the viaduct.

contadino

Veteran
I forgot to respond to this: take good (loud, non-aggressive) bells and be ready to decelerate. Are you in a rush? Most of the peak trails look fairly wide (narrow bits 2m, much 3+m), though, and walkers probably won't be in a rush either, so it may be less conflicted in that way than some urban routes.

The high peak trail is plenty wide all the way to hurdlow, and even at weekends it's not really busy. The monsal gets way too busy at weekends, specially around hassop station - not good biking even if you just pootle along.

Agree with much of the above, Tissington and High Peak are often busy but less so towards Parsley Hay. I wouldn't recommend riding down some of the inclines on the High Peak; a bit too rough and steep for me.

The Manifold Way is really beautiful but is quite narrow and meandering. Its not something you can ride quickly but I'd recommend it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Agree with much of the above, Tissington and High Peak are often busy but less so towards Parsley Hay. I wouldn't recommend riding down some of the inclines on the High Peak; a bit too rough and steep for me.

The Manifold Way is really beautiful but is quite narrow and meandering. Its not something you can ride quickly but I'd recommend it.
Sounds good. Speed isn't vital, have all day to ride, coffee, ride, lunch, ride, beer, dinner!:okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Google says it's only 8 miles long!
Correct, however we are starting from wherever we are staying, riding to say start of manifold track on roads, then roads to top of Tissington trail and then back to accommodation. Still only about 35-40 miles.
Do I have your approval for a beer at the end now? 🍻😂

Have two! :cheers:

Cirrus

Veteran
Correct, however we are starting from wherever we are staying, riding to say start of manifold track on roads, then roads to top of Tissington trail and then back to accommodation. Still only about 35-40 miles.
Do I have your approval for a beer at the end now? 🍻😂
The Charles Cotton Hotel and the Devonshire Arms in Hartington are both decent places for a bite to eat and a pint (between the Manifold Track and TissingtonTrail)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Charles Cotton Hotel and the Devonshire Arms in Hartington are both decent places for a bite to eat and a pint (between the Manifold Track and TissingtonTrail)
:okay: Hartington had been pencilled in as a potential lunch stop, with Hurdlow as an alternative if we are making decent time and want to add a few miles on, up there via road and back on the trail.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I found the section near the start of the High Peak, coming out of Cromford, was pretty steep, I was on the smallest ring of the triple on my hybrid and puffing like one of the old steam trains when I got to the top. The rest I found pretty much a pleasure to cycle, I really like the Tissington Trail and the Monsal as well, the Monsal has a few tunnels which are fun all have nice views.
The final descent to Cromford is quite steep. It was at this point in the ride I discovered that my brake disc pads were on their last legs and I had to follow the cyclists dismount recommendation. By that stage the brakes were unable to hold the bike while stationary.

There are a few odd cafes (probably not marked on maps) on the Manifold Way which were quite cool (even if to get mobile reception involved paying for goods somewhere in the outer buildings!).

It was 50 miles for me to get to Waterhouses over one of the most brutal climbs I've ever done to the south of it. I don't know why it felt so brutal but it just kept going and going and going.

potsy

Rambler
I've only walked the Monsal trail but I can imagine it being very busy, especially in the Spring/Summer.
The tunnels are a great feature though.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Had a great bank holiday weekend, with a Dovedale walk on the Friday, followed by cycling Saturday and Sunday linking up Manifold track, Tissington trail, High peak trail and Carsington Water. Despite the good weather and bank holiday, it wasn't actually all that crowded on the trails, you could cycle along relatively un-impeded. The most crowded bit was round Carsington water, which I'd probably give a miss and do on the shorter side, too many sharp corners and up & down dips on far side.

Routes on ride with GPS if anyone wants them.
We were on gravel bikes with 35mm rubber, but a hybrid on 28mm would cope fine, the Manifold is tarmac, the Tiss and High Peak are hard packed grit / gravel and reasonably smooth. The Miners Arms in Hopton do fabulous pizza's. Also has a fine Homity pie and beer from the farm shop in Hartington, eaten al Fresco between there and Hurdlow.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35352726

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35352590

Top Bottom