Best Cycleway in England for part of a tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
The final descent to Cromford is quite steep. It was at this point in the ride I discovered that my brake disc pads were on their last legs and I had to follow the cyclists dismount recommendation. By that stage the brakes were unable to hold the bike while stationary.
It's 1 in 9, or 16%, and was a cable worked incline when a railway

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's 1 in 9, or 16%, and was a cable worked incline when a railway

11% 😀

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
:okay: Hartington had been pencilled in as a potential lunch stop, with Hurdlow as an alternative if we are making decent time and want to add a few miles on, up there via road and back on the trail.
For future ref, we walked Parsley Hey to Hurdlow on Bank Holiday Monday and it was surprisingly quiet. Certainly no problem for the relatively few cyclists to go around walkers, particularly with a ding of the bell. We ate at the Royal Oak at Hurdlow which is excellent

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To update this topic for 2022 with a report from last year: I did indeed ride the Water Rail Way Lincoln-Boston and it was as good as expected. There also seemed to be a new cycleway under construction alongside the road most of the way from it into Woodhall Spa.

I also rode the Dukeries trail from Fleggborough viaduct to Lincoln, which was pretty good, although gravel at the west end; the cycle route to Newark North Gate railway station from the south, which was pretty and scores points for arriving alongside the old platform, with the station fence now along the island between it and the East Coast Main Line; part of the Grantham Canal (beautiful, avoids hills, but medium-slow gravel); and part of the Rutland Water loop (surprisingly steep). Oh, and bits of roadside cycleway between places like Peakirk and Helpston and around Stamford which will feature on no-one's top rides list but got some miles covered more easily ;)

I really should use some of these dark evenings to finish the travelogue and post it.

Top Bottom