Best Dry Lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've never used dry lube before so would appreciate pointers please.

Surprised I couldn't find an old thread on this already. I was thinking of going for Finish Line or Muc Off but then saw comments dissing both those in a 'biggest waste of money' thread when searching for a 'best dry lube' thread!

Cheers, Andy

djb1971

Legendary Member
dry lube use seems a long way off!!

i use fenwicks road stealth on the road bike (the gold coloured stuff), squirt on the fatbikes. Squirt is useless on the road bikes, it doesnt last 100 miles and goes black and gunky, quickly. It does work well on the fatbikes, off road though.

currently using chainsaw oil, at least for the next 2 months!!

BigAl68

Über Member
Dry lube IMO is pretty useless. Decent wet lube all year around works. Just Mickle and all is good

bpsmith

Veteran
Depends on your riding terrain tbh. I only ride on the road and find that you can quite happily use dry lube all year round if you like. You just need to apply it more often. Recently switched to wet lube for my Winter bike and still using dry on my summer bike, despite a few outings already.

I use Muc-Off Ceramic for both dry or wet lube. Great stuff.

I respect my equipment too much for Chainsaw Oil!

vickster

Legendary Member
I use Finish Line. The cost is pretty irrelevant given how much I ride a bike before I sell it on :whistle: It's not expensive at a fiver a bottle in the general scheme of things given how long it lasts, compared to the other things in life which don't last nearly as long...like a coffee out, a pint, a meal in a restaurant

I have a bottle of muc off wet lube which I've never used (I basically got it to spend enough at Wiggle to get free delivery for something I did actually need)

djb1971

Legendary Member
I respect my equipment too much for Chainsaw Oil!

and people who use chainsaw oil dont?

its not the oil, its keeping the drivetrain clean that prolongs its life. Dont be fooled by buying something in a fancy bottle with added magic ingredients. I still know people who use 3in1 and their drivetrains havent exploded yet.

bpsmith

Veteran
and people who use chainsaw oil dont?

its not the oil, its keeping the drivetrain clean that prolongs its life. Dont be fooled by buying something in a fancy bottle with added magic ingredients. I still know people who use 3in1 and their drivetrains havent exploded yet.

Show me a photo of a bike lubed with Chainsaw Oil that has a "clean drivetrain"?

djb1971

Legendary Member
Show me a photo of a bike lubed with Chainsaw Oil that has a "clean drivetrain"?
my drivetrains are clean.

feel free to call over and check, I'm not going out to take a photo for you. oil, wipe, oil, wipe, oil wipe, wipe, wipe, spotless and imune to rusting from salty roads. a quick link and a plastic bottle of degreaaser helps too. ALL wet oil turns black after a 100 miler, even your muc off ceramic, Ive still got a bottle in the shed. Ive tried them all. Even dry lube turns black eventually.

I said keeping it clean, that doesnt mean it doesnt get dirty.

Top Bottom