Best flat bar shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
My utility bike has the cheapest Shimano 9x3 shifters; I've replaced the cables and outers today but still find the leverage needed hard on my thumbs - especially the one for the front derailler.

Do you have any recommendations for shifters that work with low effort?

I loved bar end shifters when this bike had drop bars, so I wondered if Sun race thumb shifters might be a good option

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Deore MTB combined 9x3 shifters/ brakes or seperate (hydraulic levers) are pretty good, nice easy positive light action.

IMG_20230126_141657.jpg

Sallar55

Veteran
Some say electric is the future , but thats a big upgrade if its hard to find a silky smooth mechanical gear shifter. Best bet is deore or xt and buy a new rear mech. Don't buy the brake gear combi ones as they are rubbish.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Some say electric is the future , but thats a big upgrade if its hard to find a silky smooth mechanical gear shifter. Best bet is deore or xt and buy a new rear mech. Don't buy the brake gear combi ones as they are rubbish.

Thanks, the combination ones I have been using are certainly rubbish. Riding a modern Cube trekking bike brought home how much better changes can be.

I've ordered Deore ones now.

Top Bottom