Best GPS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
For some time I have been toying with the idea of getting a GPS for my bike so I can ride to places I normally only drive to . These are places I simply would not know how to get to other than on a motorway.

What I am unsure about is which, if any, of the current cycle GPS units work like the portable ones in cars where you simply plug in the postcode and it does the rest by spoken word and visual directions?

Do any of them work like that and which are recommended?

Thanks a lot.

GreigM

Veteran
Yep plenty will do just that, think Garmin are the most popular.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Yep plenty will do just that, think Garmin are the most popular.

Thanks. I have looked at two of theirs, the Edge 810 and 1000, and read mixed reviews. Are they ok and are there better alternatives?

Coggy

At the moment I am using google maps on iphone mounted to stem with a Quadlock mount.

I tell the map where I want to go, tell it I am on a bike and it gives me a choice of 3 routes including spoken directions.

Plan on getting a garmin eventually.

Stick the Bryton Rider 60 into the mix. I just got a second hand Garmin 705 mainly for the mapping ( I also have a Rider 20) there is much more to a cycling gps, with the right mapping tools you can insert your own waypoints P.O.I. and even peaks and valleys, so it tells you how far.

vickster

Legendary Member
Note the Garmin's don't have spoken directions, but they do bleep indignantly if you ignore them! I have the 800 with full Europe maps, being a techno-numpty, I am not getting on too well with it...a case of RTFM I expect

RedRider

Pulling through
The Garmin touring is good for mapping, depends if you want all the performance stuff of the 800/1000

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/garmin-edge-touring-gps/rp-prod115868

(quidco for CRC too)
I have one of these and it does everything I want. ie lets me follow a course with confidence. You can plot a course using websites and download to your device. Battery life doesn't seem to be as advertised but has been enough to see me through an eight hour ride using the 3D map. The 3D map probably drains the juice but I like it 'cos it helps me see round corners.
There's those that prize the ability to easily swap batteries on very long rides or tours and they'd probably choose a different device.
@Paulq Whichever you choose it's sure to broaden your cycling horizons.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Thanks all. I have understood that the Garmin actively seems out cycle tracks rather than roads when route planning which is fine as long as you can tell it to stick to roads if you wish. The Garmin touring is the one I am gonna go for I think.

The iPhone is a good option but I have some concerns about battery life and also data charges as the ride I am planning takes about 3 hrs I think.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think GPS on iPhone necessarily uses data

Garmin has different options - optimised for cycling, shortest, quickest etc...however it will not speak to you like a tomtom. You might find a phone app that does

3 hours not a problem with iPhone, just get an external battery pack. I have one of these (purchased randomly on an Easyjet flight, but widely available on t'interweb)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/thumbsUp-Dual-Power-Bank-Black/dp/B00C92UUWK

compo

Veteran
The iPhone is a good option but I have some concerns about battery life and also data charges as the ride I am planning takes about 3 hrs I think.

I cannot speak for the iPhone as never had one but I did a 5 hour ride recently and used 5mb of data to send track home whilst riding. However to use my phone for navigation or checking maps I actually don't need to have Data or WiFi turned on.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

I don't think GPS on iPhone necessarily uses data

Garmin has different options - optimised for cycling, shortest, quickest etc...however it will not speak to you like a tomtom. You might find a phone app that does

3 hours not a problem with iPhone, just get an external battery pack

Good idea. Can any of the iPhone users advise whether Google Maps actually does use data?

vickster

Legendary Member
As compo, not if you pre-programme before leaving home I think. Any live ''web based service" will. Still got be cheaper than £200-300 for a Garmin?

Top Bottom