Best GPS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rider 60 I believe gives voice directions through a bluetooth headset.
I prefer Garmin from purely the ability to access it as an external drive as I make up my routes with peaks and other waypoints, and I just find it easier to transfer the file when I have done it.

Good idea. Can any of the iPhone users advise whether Google Maps actually does use data?
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-google-maps-offline-on-ios-android/

Coggy

As far as I am aware No it doesn't. I could of course be wrong.

Just discovered that the GPS Doesn't use data but the App does use data to load the initial map although not much. Once downloaded no further data is pulled down.

Apparently:
"The phone isn't streaming the map data the whole time you're navigating. It caches the whole route the moment you start navigating to the destination. The data used between the GPS radio and the satellites is not carrier data, therefor is not tracked or counted against you."

I have just tried it on my iphone. You can store maps offline by following the instructions on my previous post, but I was not able to select a very usable area to be cached, don't know if it is due to memory limitations on my phone or a restriction in Gmaps. Since I have a Garmin 800 I don't really need it :smile:

Coggy

I have just tried it on my iphone. You can store maps offline by following the instructions on my previous post, but I was not able to select a very usable area to be cached, don't know if it is due to memory limitations on my phone or a restriction in Gmaps. Since I have a Garmin 800 I don't really need it :smile:

Last weekend, I literally just used my current position as start point, inputed the place I wanted to get to, selected Bike mode, clipped the phone to the bike using Quad Lock and pressed start and it talked me through it as I rode just like sat nav in the car.

donnyjnk

ride with gps is a good site. you can use it on android phones or alternatively strava. you can plan routes on both and are free. I have a garmin 605 and its ok but just be careful as you will need to purchase a map pack as well that comes on a micro sd card.

BAtoo

Über Member
I've a Garmin 605 which I find quite satisfactory - no monitors, just directions. It doesn't speak to me and gives either a line on the map to follow or beeps and directions depending which type of file gets loaded (tcx or gpx). After my 1000 miles with it recently and comparing it to a new G805 I couldn't see much difference in them.
The 805 owner preferred my 605 line-on-a-map type navigation as I did, as we both found the 805 gave the turn advice too soon sometimes indicating the wrong road. It's re-routing was quite poor usually insisting we just do a U-turn for some time especially when it had tried to send us up another forest track!
I suspect some settings could have been changed but neither of us had RTFM - and didn't have one with us to read.

Our route had been done on the Garmin web based ride planning bit and it's interpretation of what was suitable for a bike was "interesting" - I presume it thinks we all ride MTBs judging by some of it's proposed routes!
Equally asking the 605 and 805 to plan a route to a destination seemed to include some tracks despite asking it to use roads only.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Well I have tried the Touring Plus for a while and am pretty disappointed with it. It may be that I have a faulty one, which I am checking out, but it sends me all over everywhere and basically goes off its head when I take a wrong turn, taking an age to recalculate and reroute.

I may just look for a decent bike mount for my mobile after all. Google maps seems far more advanced than Garmin's cycle GPS maps in my experience that's for sure.

Are there any more out there that are more intuitive?

compo

Veteran
I was sent this the other day, so apologies in advance!

I have a little GPS
I've had it all my life
It's better than the normal ones
My GPS is my wife

It gives me full instructions
Especially how to drive
"It's sixty k's an hour", it says
"You're doing sixty five"

It tells me when to stop and start
And when to use the brake
And tells me that it's never ever
Safe to overtake

It tells me when a light is red
And when it goes to green
It seems to know instinctively
Just when to intervene

It lists the vehicles just in front
And all those to the rear
And taking this into account
It specifies my gear.

I'm sure no other driver
Has so helpful a device
For when we leave and lock the car
It still gives its advice.

It fills me up with counseling
Each journey's pretty fraught
So why don't I exchange it
And get a quieter sort?

Ah well, you see, it cleans the house,
Makes sure I'm properly fed,
It washes all my shirts and things
And - lets me have a shed.

Despite all these advantages
And my tendency to scoff,
I do wish that once in a while
I could turn the damned thing off.

Peteaud

Veteran
Well I have tried the Touring Plus for a while and am pretty disappointed with it. It may be that I have a faulty one, which I am checking out, but it sends me all over everywhere and basically goes off its head when I take a wrong turn, taking an age to recalculate and reroute.

I may just look for a decent bike mount for my mobile after all. Google maps seems far more advanced than Garmin's cycle GPS maps in my experience that's for sure.

Are there any more out there that are more intuitive?

I have a touring and have had no issues. However, you have to have certain settings set correctly.

Do a google search but turn of auto re-route and turn on stick to roads.

I mostly do a route on RWGPS and just load it into the Garmin as a course.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Thanks. I actually wanted to avoid roads at all costs and where possible take me on the NCN or Trans Pennine Trail.

christaff66

I was sent this the other day, so apologies in advance!

I have a little GPS
I've had it all my life
It's better than the normal ones
My GPS is my wife

It gives me full instructions
Especially how to drive
"It's sixty k's an hour", it says
"You're doing sixty five"

It tells me when to stop and start
And when to use the brake
And tells me that it's never ever
Safe to overtake

It tells me when a light is red
And when it goes to green
It seems to know instinctively
Just when to intervene

It lists the vehicles just in front
And all those to the rear
And taking this into account
It specifies my gear.

I'm sure no other driver
Has so helpful a device
For when we leave and lock the car
It still gives its advice.

It fills me up with counseling
Each journey's pretty fraught
So why don't I exchange it
And get a quieter sort?

Ah well, you see, it cleans the house,
Makes sure I'm properly fed,
It washes all my shirts and things
And - lets me have a shed.

Despite all these advantages
And my tendency to scoff,
I do wish that once in a while
I could turn the damned thing off.

not related to this but only way I could post to you about zennox metal detector manual you were looking for, cut and paste this address and its there for free http://www.scribd.com/doc/134560379/Metal-Detector-Users-Manual-GC1006

Top Bottom