Best interactive indoor trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm dreading the worst of the coming winter stuck inside on my turbo looking at a wall. Even the large poster of the twists and turns on the Alpe D'Huez can't hold interest for too long. So I'm looking to get an interactive turbo and wanted to ask about the experiences people on here have had with them. I'd be prepared (at a push) to go to £500 but being tight of pocket, would naturally be happier to pay less.

Can anyone recommend a really good one they've been overjoyed with?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'm dreading the worst of the coming winter stuck inside on my turbo looking at a wall. Even the large poster of the twists and turns on the Alpe D'Huez can't hold interest for too long. So I'm looking to get an interactive turbo and wanted to ask about the experiences people on here have had with them. I'd be prepared (at a push) to go to £500 but being tight of pocket, would naturally be happier to pay less.

Can anyone recommend a really good one they've been overjoyed with?

If you don't require the turbo trainer to be controlled by the software and just want some sort of on screen fancies, you could consider one of the many online services that use your current trainer and speed sensor plus a USB ant+ stick. A lot cheaper than £500.

Depends what you want from it I suppose, any elaboration?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi Rob, can you just elaborate on that a bit please ....

I've got a standard turbo trainer and a Garmin 500. What else do I need to get?

If you have the Garmin speed sensor on your bike, all you need is an ANT+ usb stick and a subscription to one of the many online services such as Trainer Road. The ANT+ stick will take your speed/cadence sensor data, heart rate data and your power meter data (if you have one) to the computer. Quite a few new services are coming out soon too.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes, it takes the data from the actual sensors, not the head unit. So you will need the speed/cadence sensor. The Trainer Road website should have most of the details of what you need etc, most/all of these websites have the same requirements.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Looks a decent unit but has some serious quirks ^^ for example the power reading being virtually useless and the trainer being near impossible to ensure absolute repeatability (the gravity based engagement with the resistance unit is a massive detractor). As such you might well be better off using a standard trainer and one of the services I mentioned above, DEPENDING on your requirements. On the other hand the BKool might well suit you down to the ground.

Personally, I'd rather spend the money on a Lemond or a Kurt Kinetic as a good solid turbo trainer, then add in the VR stuff as an extra using some online service.

I don't use a VR turbo, this should be noted, as I speak as someone who rides a turbo for 12+ hours a week, for up to 4 hours at a time, but with no experience of VR trainers (I am hopefully going to be reviewing/demoing some in the near future).

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Bkool are supposed to be good. There is a thread called team bkool cycle chat? A group of people from this parish has set up a team to compete against each other. You might want to have a look at it first. Me? I have a 10 inch tablet. I watch films, listen to music, or there are videos on yutube showing various cycling routes that peope have done. You can follow the routes. its not quite as boring.

There is also a google app called turbo tour. Don't know how good it is though.

Top Bottom