Best iPhone apps for road cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-Zero

Über Member
Teething troubles ??

After this morning's trail ride, these are the figures that Cyclemeter ended up with and the figures pose several questions.

(RIDE TIME = 2.50.07) (STOPPED TIME = 13.08 Mins) (DISTANCE = 32.78 Miles)
(SPEED = 10.77) (AV.SPEED = 11.56) (FASTEST SPEED = 12.40)
(ASCENT = 1146FT) (DESCENT = 1078FT) (CALORIES = 4633)

1) (Distance = 32.78) The route I rode is actually 4 miles longer than the distance above (Memorymap OS 1:50000) but on checking the route map there are a few locations shown as being 'straightlined', the worst between 20 and 27 miles (see pic), where the actual route is further to the north and not straight. This explains the missing miles, but is it likely to be a signal or GPS shadow problem ?. Phone is in a thin pocket at the top of my Camelbak hydration rucsac. Am I going to have to get a waterproof bar mount ?

2) (Fastest speed = 12.40) On a couple of downhill road sections my computer briefly showed speed in excess of 30mph and there are a couple of long downhills on the trail where I maintained in excess of 20mph for a good couple of miles.

3) (Average speed = 11.56) 37 miles in 3 hours should be a tad over 12mph average.

4) (Stopped time = 13.08) Stopped for a couple of gates and to allow cars to pass before crossing roads. I didn't time the stops, but a guessing a max of 2 or 3 minutes. Does the system have a minimum speed where it classes anything below that as a stop ie, crawling past loose dogs, crossing roads etc.

5) (Calories = 4633) Really ?

Attachments

• NCN14 to NCN7.jpg
    NCN14 to NCN7.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 66
Teething troubles ??

After this morning's trail ride, these are the figures that Cyclemeter ended up with and the figures pose several questions.

(RIDE TIME = 2.50.07) (STOPPED TIME = 13.08 Mins) (DISTANCE = 32.78 Miles)
(SPEED = 10.77) (AV.SPEED = 11.56) (FASTEST SPEED = 12.40)
(ASCENT = 1146FT) (DESCENT = 1078FT) (CALORIES = 4633)

1) (Distance = 32.78) The route I rode is actually 4 miles longer than the distance above (Memorymap OS 1:50000) but on checking the route map there are a few locations shown as being 'straightlined', the worst between 20 and 27 miles (see pic), where the actual route is further to the north and not straight. This explains the missing miles, but is it likely to be a signal or GPS shadow problem ?. Phone is in a thin pocket at the top of my Camelbak hydration rucsac. Am I going to have to get a waterproof bar mount ?

2) (Fastest speed = 12.40) On a couple of downhill road sections my computer briefly showed speed in excess of 30mph and there are a couple of long downhills on the trail where I maintained in excess of 20mph for a good couple of miles.

3) (Average speed = 11.56) 37 miles in 3 hours should be a tad over 12mph average.

4) (Stopped time = 13.08) Stopped for a couple of gates and to allow cars to pass before crossing roads. I didn't time the stops, but a guessing a max of 2 or 3 minutes. Does the system have a minimum speed where it classes anything below that as a stop ie, crawling past loose dogs, crossing roads etc.

5) (Calories = 4633) Really ?

1) Looks like there was a phone or GPS problem for a big chunk of the route. Its not something I've had and normally my phone is in my back jersey pocket. Is your phone the latest iOS with multitasking? Otherwise there are a number of things like txt messages, calls, pressing the Home button etc that can stop Cyclemeter. Also did you remember to lock the phone (button on top) before you put it in your back pack?

2) Were those downhill sections in the bit replaced with the straight line in which case they would not have registered.

3) Yes but it measured 32.78 miles not 37 so that is what it will use for the calculation 32.78 miles in 2hrs50 is 11.58mph.

4) Don't know

5) Who believes calorie figures anyway?

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I too have never had any issues with CycleMeter!

My phone sits in a Dahon Biologic iPhone holder fastened to my stem, so it is in clear site of the sky!

Check your phone has the latest OS update etc. Turn off Wifi & Bluetooth (if switched on?)

Read the App support page here.

G-Zero

Über Member
Redlight & Cloggsy,

Thank you both for your suggestions (and the app support link) and in response :-

Phone was locked.

Only some of the faster bits were in the 'straightline' section, the twice I hit 30 mph looks ok on the blue route and were early in the ride, en route to the trail.

Bluetooth was left on, as was wi-fi - Will make sure they're off next time out.

Received no calls or texts during the ride.

Phone is IP4, fresh out of its box last week, but I will check for updates.

Cheers :thumbsup:

barongreenback

Über Member
Very odd, I've been using Cyclemeter for months without any issues. On the calories bit, have you checked the advanced setting for using elevation? I think that eliminates a little of the downhill freewheeling. I did 40 miles this afternoon on a hilly route at an average of 15mph and Cyclemeter told me I'd burnt 2,500 kcal. I'm a shade under 17 stone so unless you're bigger than me, that calorie count looks way out.

Cosmicned

Ah- I've turned off the calorie elevation (whatever that is) now so I'll check my calories on tomorrows jaunts... I'm 15 stone & 5'11" so I suspect you are right those calorie counts are probably a bit optimistic! Cheers for the info...

G-Zero

Über Member
BaronGB/Cosmicned - Turned off the elevation too, will have a check in the morning to see how much difference it makes.

BinBag - Cyclemeter has the option to download to Facebook & Twitter too, but I've disabled them.

barongreenback

Über Member
Just had a thought on the calories - if the gps 'jumped' from one co-ordinate to another with a straight line, the software may have thought you travelled the distance within seconds, hence the huge calorie count. Check the splits per mile.

I have the elevation calories on and it seems to work ok.

nickwadd

My twopenneth

I use cyclemeter every day on my commute. The ascent/descent stuff is a bit questionable as often there seems to be a discrepancy between the two when I start and finish in the same place. And the top speed can just be plain wrong - I have never hit 55mph no matter what I try and tell myself. I think these issues may be due to the GPS stuff not working so well rather than a fault in the app itself.

But as an app that records your rides and gives you a measure of whether you're improving or not I think its great. The only other issue is the same that you'll have with all iphone apps - battery time. It will run out on anything over about 4-5 hours.

Overall though I'd rate it a well worthwhile purchase, and coupled with my 4.99 Aldi computer gives me all I need for under a tenner.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
But as an app that records your rides and gives you a measure of whether you're improving or not I think its great. The only other issue is the same that you'll have with all iphone apps - battery time. It will run out on anything over about 4-5 hours.

This can be hugely improved with the use of a Veho Pebble (or similar such device) :thumbsup:

barongreenback

Über Member
On battery life, I turn off the wifi and 3G (as well as the display and just having the spoken announcements) and there was 70% battery left after 2.5 hours. This is on an iPhone 4.

G-Zero

Über Member
Had its second outing this morning and although I only had time for 24 miles all appears well.

Overall distance was still a little bit out compared to Memorymap, but at less than 0.5 mile I can live live with it.

Much happier :biggrin:

Top Bottom