Best lights for durability?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clutterydrawer

Hello all

I seem to spend a fortune on lights because they never last long.

My rear light was fine on thursday, just tried it now and it's completely gone - I have no idea why although I can see water inside it so maybe that's the problem.

What lights would you recommend that are a bit more resilient?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The Blackburn lights (mars 4.0) seem pretty well put together. Mines just done it's second winter with no problems.

I do however add a smear of silicon grease round the seal each time I replace the batteries.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use sellotape to seal all around the edges on my rear lights , the batteries last long enough to make it a viable way of sealing them as well, also helps to keep the light together as i have found the road vibration tends to bounce it about and loosen stuff.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Rear light: Smart Superflash, about £10.

I've had a couple of these for some time- my oldest one has done about three years of all-weather commuting. They go a bit cranky when wet sometimes (although I think they may have improved the seal) but they fail safe- i.e. remain on- and work fine when dried out. They seem good for general reliability and are very bright for the price.

Try opening up your rear light, removing the batteries and drying on a radiator- I'll probably revive it.

The Blackburn lights (mars 4.0) seem pretty well put together. Mines just done it's second winter with no problems.

I do however add a smear of silicon grease round the seal each time I replace the batteries.

Its a great light and seems much more robust/ waterproof than my smart 1/2watt. However (and hopefully this is unique to me or even better my 1st). I usually place mine inn the bracket on the hybrid or clip it to my saddle bags on the road bikes. With my first some where along the line it lost one of the teeth of its clip. It still seemed OK however, until one day I was shooting down Whitefield Road, its quite normal to top out for me at 30-35mph and it is a better road to do so despite the lights at the bottom as it levels off at the bottom a good 100m before it and there are few accesses and none on the steepest section. The lights are always red, that just the way it is ;-) however on this day the lights were green and although I've scrubbed my speed the clip could cope with the force of the slightly tighter than 90deg left hander and unfortunatley the light isn't that robust under several tons of metal :-( I have had no problem however with my second one and had no hesitation in buying it; I have however vowed to go straight (take the longer way home) rather than left but guess what the lights have never been green again!

OP
OP
C

clutterydrawer

Rear light: Smart Superflash, about £10.

I've had a couple of these for some time- my oldest one has done about three years of all-weather commuting. They go a bit cranky when wet sometimes (although I think they may have improved the seal) but they fail safe- i.e. remain on- and work fine when dried out. They seem good for general reliability and are very bright for the price.

Try opening up your rear light, removing the batteries and drying on a radiator- I'll probably revive it.

That's what's so annoying - it's been constructed so it can't be opened at all - all the separate components are melded together!

I do have mudguards but cycle about in the rain a lot so I think it gets in from the top.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I will check them out.

On a side note I got a new front light yesterday and it's so bright I'm just sitting here turning it on and off in fascination - there will be no battery left by the time I get it on the bike!

Norm

[QUOTE 1298449"]
Exposure flare. The party trick is to switch it on then drop it into someone else's pint.
[/quote]
If yours is like mine after a muddy ride or two, I've fixed that for you. :biggrin:

Top Bottom