Best lock for an expensive bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
Just about to take delivery on Monday of a Equilibrium Stainless Steel road bike (after a not so good experience with an equilibrium 20) As the bike is worth just under 2000 pounds it worries me as to what bike lock I should use. I use a Kryptonie series 2 standard lock (sold secure silver) on my Kinesis racelight tk2 and I presume that something like the Abus u mini 401 (sold secure gold) will be up to the job or possible the Kryptonite new york mini (sold secure gold)...although the weight on the new york mini appears to be a whopping 2k ( but I suspet that is the price in weight you have to pay for security. Is there anything else I should consider?....below is a pic of the bike and you can see why I would want to make sure it is will protected when I leave it unattended...
equilibrium-stainless-frameset_01_zpsd6a2ae02.jpg

gavintc

Guru
My good bike never see a lock. It gets ridden and then locked in the house. I never leave it outside - well maybe the odd cafe stop.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Just about to take delivery on Monday of a Equilibrium Stainless Steel road bike (after a not so good experience with an equilibrium 20) As the bike is worth just under 2000 pounds it worries me as to what bike lock I should use. I use a Kryptonie series 2 standard lock (sold secure silver) on my Kinesis racelight tk2 and I presume that something like the Abus u mini 401 (sold secure gold) will be up to the job or possible the Kryptonite new york mini (sold secure gold)...although the weight on the new york mini appears to be a whopping 2k ( but I suspet that is the price in weight you have to pay for security. Is there anything else I should consider?....below is a pic of the bike and you can see why I would want to make sure it is will protected when I leave it unattended...

Something sold secure gold (or insurers won't pay out should the worst happen) and as thick as can be. Make sure (if it's a D lock) the lock is in the middle as well, rather than either end, steer clear of combination locks and also try an get one with an actual key, rather than one of those stubby things, because they can be undone with the end of a biro. Also lock as close to the object your locking to, to restrict movement and make it harder for any scumbags out there. I'd use a nice thick cable for the front wheel as well. Lovely bike BTW, congrats :smile:

We have bikes that come in around the £2.5k mark. They are never locked with a single D lock (or a single lock type for that matter) and yes you pay the price for a decent lock with a decent weight - get used to it. Security does not come cheaply nor is it light.

Roughly 10% of the cost of the bike is considered to be the bench mark for a lock for the bike, even in your home! so start thinking more in terms of how much and where you are planning on leaving it, or put bluntly, how long you want to own the bike and less in terms of how much weight you are going to carry around to secure it when it is out of your home.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You can mix and match from security skewers, cables, d-locks padlock and chain, alarmed locks but absolutely none of these wil lsecure against a well equipped thief or stop vandalism from a frustrated one. You also need to be aware that if you use the same location frequently then it will be spotted and targeted.

It's sad but a cheap bike is all I'd consider locking regularly in public, I even bought a folder so that it could come into shops with me.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Best security for an expensive bike is insurance. Then your insurance company will decide which lock you can use.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Actually I think i have the solution. I don't think i'll lock it anywhere...just take it to bed with me:smile: I will note the advice given here and keep it in sight at all times...apart from my work where there is secure parking...although I'm now beginning to wonder how secure is secure...The joys of owning an expensive bike. I will post some pics when I pick up next week and take out for a little trial.....

Diggs

Veteran
Actually I think i have the solution. I don't think i'll lock it anywhere...just take it to bed with me:smile: I will note the advice given here and keep it in sight at all times...apart from my work where there is secure parking...although I'm now beginning to wonder how secure is secure...The joys of owning an expensive bike. I will post some pics when I pick up next week and take out for a little trial.....
If you're leaving it at work, the advantage is that you can leave a really heavy lock there

U

User19783

Hi,

Sorry to hear you had issue's with Equilibrium 20, As you know I've got Croix de fer stainless, it rides really good, no problems, I got it for the same price, as you, but to be honest, I took the Defy out today, and it ride fast and sure. if not better, so I hope you are not regretting selling the Defy.

All the best and good luck with your new bike

John

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Hi John
I had first a size issue and when the equilibrium 20 arrived and I took out for a short ride I came to the opinion that the frame was too small (given that my other bike which I use everyday is a kinesis and a 52 frame)....so why you ask did I get a 50cm in the 20...the real problem is that I fall within sizes and I can prob fit either bike with some adjustments. The 50cm bike is described as a very small frame on some web sites and it did look small when it arrived. In addition the eq 20 was black and a black frame would mark very easily. My LBS did not mind me returning ( espec as I was spending more cash) and so I set back and waited for the new stainless steel wonder to arrive which it did a few days ago. It looks stunning...so stunning that the shop insisted I put in the window for a few days to show off to the passing public and hopefully drive punters into the shop....I was more than happy to oblige. I'm collecting on Monday evening (as he's staying open late so I can have a final bike fit....you cannot beat a local bike shop^_^ I cannot wait to give it a good long burn out and get it all ready for bath bike ride 80 miler in a few months. Glad you're are having fun on the Giant, it was good to sell to someone who appreciates the joy of riding
Trev T

I like the theory that the weight of all locked bikes is exactly the same. As the weight of the bike reduces (carbon frame perhaps) and the cost of it goes up, the weight of the lock and number of them securing it has to rise to compensate. eg.
An ASDA clunker can be secured with a cable lock from Poundland.
A Specialized S-Works requires several gold standard D-locks. And a ferocious dog.

Top Bottom