Best lock for an expensive bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have bikes that come in around the £2.5k mark. They are never locked with a single D lock (or a single lock type for that matter)
I've been trying to get into the 'use two (different types of) locks' habit on my much cheaper old hack. There's a lot to be said for the convenience of a single D lock. :-)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As others have said, if you have to leave a bike, then the best locks you can use.

We've had security issues with out new bike 'cage' at work. From locks that stop working, to folk leaving the door open to the magnetic lock not being fitted properly.

We have also has theives arrive tooled up with a portable angle grinder. They went for a new bike that had only been locked with a chain - they went through the padlock in seconds. The shelter is on CCTV, but they wore hooddies and were gone in seconds, way before security could get over.

I'm using a New York Fagh - yes its heavy, but about the best you can get. I'm also using another d-lock and two Abus Bordo's to secure the front. Fortunately, the thieves targeted the easy bikes to take. The down side is they know what other bikes are left in their all day.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Now this seems good...it would appear that my house insurance will cover the following...My bikes are covered under household insurance kept outside and securely double locked in garden shed. In addition it would appear that my household insurance will also cover the bike if securly locked in town center (they are not insisting on a gold standard lock) All of this for a little extra on my household insurance premium. Looking around the internet this would seem a brilliant deal. The insurance company are aware of the value of my bikes and that price is covered under the scheme....the moral of this is check you household insurance....you never know :smile: I shall also invest in a abus granit x-plus 54 lock as this would appear to be one of the best

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Now this seems good...it would appear that my house insurance will cover the following...My bikes are covered under household insurance kept outside and securely double locked in garden shed. In addition it would appear that my household insurance will also cover the bike if securly locked in town center (they are not insisting on a gold standard lock) All of this for a little extra on my household insurance premium. Looking around the internet this would seem a brilliant deal. The insurance company are aware of the value of my bikes and that price is covered under the scheme....the moral of this is check you household insurance....you never know :smile: I shall also invest in a abus granit x-plus 54 lock as this would appear to be one of the best

I'd invest in other insurance though, personally. Fairly recently, there was a spate of thievery involving a transit van. They were pulling up next to cyclists, beating them up and stealing their bikes. Not sure if your contents insurance will cover that and I know it's very unlikely to happen and the odds are in your favour, but if I spent that much on a bike, I'd be covering all bases. Sorry to fuel paranoia, but...

http://road.cc/content/news/137295-bike-stolen-after-vicious-attack-van-passenger

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
nasty story that turbo rider...I use the cycle track a lot here in Bristol to commute and there have been two instances in the last two years which hit the headlines...namely thieves stretching a line across one of the few bridges that traverse the road below. I know that on one occasion a rider was grounded and his trek bike stolen...he could of course have been very badly hurt by a hidden line that pulled him off his bike....

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't forget to check any excess on a household policy and that it covers bikes of that value

vickster

Legendary Member
Make a note of serial number and keep with receipts with those of any accessories that might be on the bike, just in case

Top Bottom