Best non cleat cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattk50

MattK50
Hi,

After being diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in one foot I'm reviewing all my shoes etc. My trainers are looking a bit worn on the soles after a decade. I had a look on amazon but feel a bit overwhelmed by choice etc. Any make recommendations for non cleat trainers to use for my indoor wahoo kickr trainer and hybrid cycling along the river footpath?

TIA

Matt

vickster

Legendary Member
I use trail running shoes, stiffer sole, harder wearing .
Otherwise if you want cycling specific but not cleats, 5 tens. Endura have started selling shoes too

Clearly I have an ebike - but I do a lot of riding on canal paths and similar

I ride in trainers - I would prefer something more designed for flat pedal cycling but trainers do the job well enough and cost less that half the price
Clearly stiffer shoes are more efficient and better for 'proper riding'

but for the casual user I don't see the point in spending over £100 when I can spend £30-40

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Clearly I have an ebike - but I do a lot of riding on canal paths and similar

I ride in trainers - I would prefer something more designed for flat pedal cycling but trainers do the job well enough and cost less that half the price
Clearly stiffer shoes are more efficient and better for 'proper riding'

but for the casual user I don't see the point in spending over £100 when I can spend £30-40

I think stiffer shoes may help my plantar fasciitis although I am no expert and cycling for over an hour aggravates it a lot.

vickster

Legendary Member
Arh a closer look reveals all, thanks.

Look at the pictures of the sole, see if there’s a plate covering SPD fixing points.

If you have chronic PF, consider finding a private physio that can do shockwave therapy. Private healthcare may cover

I think stiffer shoes may help my plantar fasciitis although I am no expert and cycling for over an hour aggravates it a lot.

I had the same condition many years ago
It totally stopped me wearing tight shoes - still cannot wear slip on shoes of any kind!

This is one reason why I don;t even try 'proper' cycling shoes - they would be too tight and would kick it off again
also not helped by my feet being quite wide - I always have to get shoes 1/2 to 1 size bigger than my real size!

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Look at the pictures of the sole, see if there’s a plate covering SPD fixing points.

If you have chronic PF, consider finding a private physio that can do shockwave therapy. Private healthcare may cover

Not chronic. Seems to be in the days after cycling but only in the left foot in the arch. Have got some 'special' in-soles today for my slippers and my old stiff trainers look too worn on the heels so now will be binned on the above purchase. GP says my general footwear in the surgery was left wanting lol! Got a ball as well to roll my foot on under my desk. I'll see how these measures go and will remember your shockwave therapy, thank you.

Good afternoon,

If you don't mind a rash purchase for £25 https://www.planetx.co.uk/deals Plant X seem to have a relevant shoe (Carnac).

However Planet X do seem to be a bit like Sports Direct sometimes with massive "discounts" and a product that is fair value at the "discounted" price. I was just looking at the Fulcrum 900 wheels reduced from £249 to £129, the same price or a little bit more than others are selling them for.

Another option could be https://www.sportsdirect.com/pinnacle-cedar-mens-cycling-shoes-140943#colcode=14094303 a flat soled shoe that is quite stiff. My limited experience with Pinnacle is that it is a step up from Muddyfox but not a premium product.

I am using these MTB/SPD shoes without cleats and with toe clips and straps, https://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-tour-100-low-mens-cycling-shoes-144093#colcode=14409303

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Top Bottom