Best non cleat cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Good afternoon,

If you don't mind a rash purchase for £25 https://www.planetx.co.uk/deals Plant X seem to have a relevant shoe (Carnac).

However Planet X do seem to be a bit like Sports Direct sometimes with massive "discounts" and a product that is fair value at the "discounted" price. I was just looking at the Fulcrum 900 wheels reduced from £249 to £129, the same price or a little bit more than others are selling them for.

Another option could be https://www.sportsdirect.com/pinnacle-cedar-mens-cycling-shoes-140943#colcode=14094303 a flat soled shoe that is quite stiff. My limited experience with Pinnacle is that it is a step up from Muddyfox but not a premium product.

Bye

Ian

Thanks but I have just ordered the 5-10's. A lot more expensive than these ones. I hope my additional outlay will be worth it. 25 quid for a shoe seems too cheap. How do these companies make profit at that price?

Good afternoon,
Thanks but I have just ordered the 5-10's. A lot more expensive than these ones. I hope my additional outlay will be worth it. 25 quid for a shoe seems too cheap. How do these companies make profit at that price?
I think that it is a combination of volume plus some naffness. :-)

I used to buy Crane (Aldi) walking shoes, they lasted around 600 miles which was around three months and were £20 a pair.

They were a well balanced design, the sole wore out, the insole lost all of its padding and the sole started to come unglued at the front of the shoe all at pretty much the same time.

Once when Aldi had none I bought a pair of Regatta shoes for around £80, they lasted just over 2 years, but I preferred the Aldi shoes as they were always new and fresh. I suspect that it is a side effect of their short life but they were also very comfortable.

Unless it was wet, when their basic nature showed, and by wet I mean short grass and early morning dew not a real downpour.

I once bought a cheap pair of Mountain Warehouse walking shoes and they lasted a month!

If I were using cleats I would be very wary of cheap shoes as there is a non trivial upwards force when climbing a hill that may separate the metal plate that the cleats are bolted to from the rest of the shoe over time. Without cleats just sticking a bit of steel into the sole is a pretty cheap thing to do.

Bye

Ian

vickster

Legendary Member
Not chronic. Seems to be in the days after cycling but only in the left foot in the arch. Have got some 'special' in-soles today for my slippers and my old stiff trainers look too worn on the heels so now will be binned on the above purchase. GP says my general footwear in the surgery was left wanting lol! Got a ball as well to roll my foot on under my desk. I'll see how these measures go and will remember your shockwave therapy, thank you.

Golf balls are the best and a small bottle of frozen water for cryotherapy! Also lots of heel hangs off a step :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Having to return the 5-10's. I ordered a size 10 and I have to curl my toes up! Never ever have problems with size 10 shoes.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Have sent them back.Opted for the 25 quid planet x ones above temporarily to see. As an aside, I ordered some 5 quid special insoles for my slippers a week ago (that i spend a lot of time in WFH) from amazon that seem to be helping my plantar fascilitis immensely.

Hebe

getting better all the time
I have the endura ones without clippyness. I like them very much. Before those I used old trainers but they were spongy and just a bit unpleasant. My first bike shoes were the Lidl 5.10 equivalent, about £15 and they were fine. Would absolutely buy them again if they ever come back in. Good luck with the Planet X ones.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Thanks. At 25 quid you cant really go that wrong and I need to ramp up my miles gently again.

Petrichorwheels

Have sent them back.Opted for the 25 quid planet x ones above temporarily to see. As an aside, I ordered some 5 quid special insoles for my slippers a week ago (that i spend a lot of time in WFH) from amazon that seem to be helping my plantar fascilitis immensely.

please report back on those (planetx)

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry, now edited. I will try them out.

You can but you may find the hard soles or the cover on the holes slippery on flat pedals. I tried in the past with SPD shoes on flats and I got really bad cramp trying to stay on the pedals on the hard soles :ohmy: not sure itnwoukd have been a solution for PF!!
Hopefully works for you.

Top Bottom