Best non cleat cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Ok. Can anyone walk me through getting going with these shoes e.g. cleats etc? Just want to start cycling again :-( . I can't buy a third pair of shoes lol! I bought this planet X ones thinking they were cleatless.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok. Can anyone walk me through getting going with these shoes e.g. cleats etc? Just want to start cycling again :-( . I can't buy a third pair of shoes lol! I bought this planet X ones thinking they were cleatless.

You need SPD two bolt cleats and clipless pedals (generally if you buy new pedals, cleats come with). Any shoes are technically clipless without cleats, whether you’d want to use them as such is another question!
However, as I said, I just use stiff soled trail running shoes on flats! (I can’t clip in anymore due to lack of bend in one knee)

I have been reading this with interest as I need something like this
However I would prefer something which looks like it would also be OK to walk a bit in and work well on flat pedals - albeit one with shap knobbly bits which grip onto trainers etc

I also have a problem of having quite wide and sensitive feet - hence I really need t try them on first
ANyone know of any suitable shoes that are sold by normal high street (or shopping park type) shops??

vickster

Legendary Member
However I would prefer something which looks like it would also be OK to walk a bit in and work well on flat pedals - albeit one with shap knobbly bits which grip onto trainers etc

I also have a problem of having quite wide and sensitive feet - hence I really need t try them on first
ANyone know of any suitable shoes that are sold by normal high street (or shopping park type) shops??

Sports direct sell trail running or walking shoes for example, or any running or outdoors type shop :okay:

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50

What are sensitive feet if you don't mind me asking? My feet are quite wide. I have ordered the endura trainers now and decided to keep the planet x ones anyway as I need to fill up my shoe rack side before my wife steals it. Watch this space!

What are sensitive feet if you don't mind me asking?

Generally quite wide but I can;t cope with anything being tight - especially around the place where the laces are
Many years ago I used to play badminton a few times a week - I had to stop for 6 months due to foot pain that could only be cured by buying well fitting lace up shoes that fit very well and so I could have the laces VERY loose
Got better and tried badminton again and was crippled within 1 game - when I say crippled I mean it - I had to borrow one of my Dad's sticks (he had been using them since 1944 when a bomb casing fell on his head out of a Halifax and broke his spine!!!! - so I know what crippled means) and was limping badly for over 2 months.
I am generally OK nowadays if I choose lace up shoes that fit well and have soft soles!

I also have bone spurs (hence never went to Vietnam!!!) and get problems with my tendon if I walk too much on hard surfaces or the heel of shoe collapses

Other than that they generally work !!!!

they are fine for cycling - except that I could never wear 'proper' cycling shoes!

Top Bottom