Best (not most expensive) turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Thank you. I'll look at those sensors tomorrow. A quick question though, you've confirmed what I thought about the resistance lever though. Can you disconnect it as it's a bit annoying? I felt the urge to snip it in an instance but figured it'd render the resale value worthless!

I set the resistance level at a mid setting and just leave it. I think you might need the lever to use zwift. Your turbo wont increase resistance on hills for instance, so when going up hill you would be expected to increase the resistance yourself, rather than the turbo doing it.

nickAKA

Über Member
Thank you. I'll look at those sensors tomorrow. A quick question though, you've confirmed what I thought about the resistance lever though. Can you disconnect it as it's a bit annoying? I felt the urge to snip it in an instance but figured it'd render the resale value worthless!

I'd just tuck it out of the way, without knowing how it's connected you don't want to give yourself an unnecessary headache should you wish to move it on in the future.

Mattk50

MattK50
I'd just tuck it out of the way, without knowing how it's connected you don't want to give yourself an unnecessary headache should you wish to move it on in the future.
. Thanks for the tip, just wrapped it around the unit, a bit ugly but does the job. I'm getting into this now with youtube videos! Those sensors you suggest. Is there anything cheaper? I'm not after complete precision, just something to clip on near the wheel that 'talks' to strava on my phone and gives me pretty accurate data. I thought there'd be something nearer 20 quid but if it'd be bad then I guess I'll have to fork out more!

nickAKA

Über Member
. Thanks for the tip, just wrapped it around the unit, a bit ugly but does the job. I'm getting into this now with youtube videos! Those sensors you suggest. Is there anything cheaper? I'm not after complete precision, just something to clip on near the wheel that 'talks' to strava on my phone and gives me pretty accurate data. I thought there'd be something nearer 20 quid but if it'd be bad then I guess I'll have to fork out more!

I'm sure you'll find something cheaper, I've seen speed and cadence sensors on Amazon that look identical to the Garmin ones but I have no idea if they're any good or not. I can only give you my opinion based on personal experience: cheaper sensors are hit & miss where the wahoo & Garmin ones just work, every time. If you have the funds, spend the extra, think of it as an investment in your fitness and sanity.
I've got lezyne speed & cadence on one bike that's equally dependable but it wasn't much cheaper tbh. Whatever you buy make sure it's Bluetooth for maximum chances of compatibility with your phone.

When I had a similar question to the OP 4 years back I settled for the Elite Turbo Muin and I've been quite happy with it for the money (circa £250 IIRC). Its direct drive and quiet; has a good resistance and pre power meter was good for virtual power. It'd be nice it it had smart variable resistance and was a bit more portable but that would have cost more.

Mattk50

MattK50
I think I'm almost there now bar one niggle! So the trainer set up, the lead is tucked away, wahoo speed and cadence sensors set up with wahoo fitness app in front (who needs bad weather!). So this afternoon for a 40 minute 'potter' it registered only 4 miles and an average speed of 5.7mph! That just cannot be right and something needs recalibrating somewhere?

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I'm almost there now bar one niggle! So the trainer set up, the lead is tucked away, wahoo speed and cadence sensors set up with wahoo fitness app in front (who needs bad weather!). So this afternoon for a 40 minute 'potter' it registered only 4 miles and an average speed of 5.7mph! That just cannot be right and something needs recalibrating somewhere?
Well done for actually going 4 whole miles on a turbo trainer :whistle: :biggrin:

Measure turbo effort in time so good job on 40 minutes :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member

Is your tyre touching the roller?

Mattk50

MattK50
Yup. Tyre touching roller. How do I find the wheel circumference, is it on the tyre? It seemed to work it out. I appreciate that the resistance of the roller and road surface would give different rides but should strava record the effort as roughly the same as being outside? I felt like I have cycled more like 20 miles than 4 miles. I'm not that unfit lol!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yup. Tyre touching roller. How do I find the wheel circumference, is it on the tyre? It seemed to work it out. I appreciate that the resistance of the roller and road surface would give different rides but should strava record the effort as roughly the same as being outside? I felt like I have cycled more like 20 miles than 4 miles. I'm not that unfit lol!

Some manufacturers (eg Schwalbe) list it online. Or mark the tyre where it touches the ground (on or off the bike) and roll it in a PERFECTLY straight line till the mark reaches the ground. Measure the distance between the two points.
OR
Mark the tyre and curl a dressmaker’s tape measure around the tyre.

Hey presto : There’s your circumference.

Last edited:

Mattk50

MattK50
If I'm not travelling 'too far' then does this suggest the friction is too much rather than too little though? Should I have the trainer's gear setting lever on the lowest? I just tucked it away preferring to use the gears on the bike.

Top Bottom