...Best of British...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I was under the impression that the saddles are made in Birmingham, the EU stock gets sent to Selle Italia for distribution, but UK stock is probably sent out from Birmingham
I seem to remember reading somewhere that all the stock is sent from the UK to Italy for distribution, including stock that is ultimately sent back to Britain. Apparently it's the only way they can maintain consistent supplies.

surprised at that.
I assume you know that their barlick neighbours Rolls Royce are British.
I think of Rolls Royce as being based in Derby. Am I showing even more ignorance??

I think of Rolls Royce as being based in Derby. Am I showing even more ignorance??
am afraid so.
Been a RR factory (strictly there are two I think) in Barnoldswick since WW2. Early pioneering work on the Whittle's jet engine was done in the area. The B in the RB series of jet engines stands for Barnoldswick.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I seem to remember reading somewhere that all the stock is sent from the UK to Italy for distribution, including stock that is ultimately sent back to Britain. Apparently it's the only way they can maintain consistent supplies.
How on earth that makes sense in logistics is beyond me, still some manager somewhere is being paid handsomely for stupid ideas like that

Badger_Boom

Über Member
sometime in the 60s I think - i vaguely remember it as a kid - I think Blue Peter* even did a spot on it.
I don't think it lasted long.

(* in case anyone gets the wrong idea about Blue Peter they also once famously did an extended plug for the simply delightful Sha of Iran)
BP did and still does reflect the accepted world view of the time. I don’t recall if they did a follow up for balance on the benefits of the Revolution and life under Ayatollah Khomeini, president Banisadr and the Revolutionary Council and Guards.

GuyBoden

Guru
A second hand 1950's Raleigh is your best of British bet.

Pipe smoking is optional, but Argyle socks are obligatory. Just ask Reg Harris, our greatest British Track Sprinter.

03-reg-harris.jpg

All of the decisions made by previous management is coming back to haunt them . Increased fuel costs , high prices for shipping containers and time delays in product design and manufacture are causing some managers to rethink their policies .
I think there may have been political influence on companies to switch to Taiwan for manufacture. China wants to take back control of the island so a successful independent island would have been a right thorn in their side .

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Why would you go to such purist extremes? International trade has been a thing since time immemorial.
To write an article & earn some money? ;)

I'm still nervous of machined hubs & cranks, as distinct from forged ones. Are there aluminium alloys that are more suitable for machining nowadays?

Top Bottom