Best place to put camera & why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmace

Hi guys, I get my first bike tomorrow for commuting and today I bought the ATC2000 camera.

Where would you recommend mounting the camera & why there?
helmet? handlebars? frame of bike? other?

cheers

I'd leave the camera off the bike for a few days until you've got a bit of experience of using the bike - especially as you say it's your first (and, if logic follows correctly, you haven't cycle commuted before). You don't need any distractions!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I find I get a clearer picture if I bar mount it. However, I get a load of road noise. It is easier to aim and be sure you are pointing straight and level.

Helmet mounted is difficult to be sure it is taking the surroundings and not the road 4 foot in front of you. It also pulls the helmet to one side, or looks a bit silly if you put it center top. :angry: You will also be surprised how much you move your head both moving and while waiting (or is that just me)

Iceniner

I suppose it also depends on how confident you feel on wearing it in full view (i.e. on a helmet) as my head light often draws a fair amount of attention, presumably from people thinking its a camera.

Putting it on the handle bars would probably be easier to disguise (and operate it?) it a bit as a light or something of that ilk.

I find that having my camera helmet mounted is better as i can position the camera (with a bit of practice) to see things that it just wouldnt see on the bars.

I think others have also commented on extra vibration in the films they take when they mount it on the bars. Magnatom used to wear his on his helmet you could ask him how he had his mounted. Others like Arch and Bentmikey also run ATC 2K's if i remember correctly. Im sure they could help with suggestions.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I'd vote for helmet - easier to actually get what you want to tape due to being able to look at it rather than having to point your handlebars at it.

Saying that though, I don't have a camera on my bike so feel free to ignore my advice. ;)

mmace said:
cheers guys, I put it on my helmet, not many people about at 6:30 on my route to work!

Has to be helmet for me, although the ideal set up would also have a back facing camera to catch the folk that drive 2 inches from your back wheel! ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing some sample video! :ohmy:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Helmet for me - might take a test or two to get the angle right at first. But then you can aim it to some extent (although of course it has a much narrower field of view than you do, so yu have to really turn your head to see to the side). I suggest doing a lot of playing about making short clips, to get the hang of it...

domd1979

Veteran
I've shifted my ATC2K from my (cycle) helmet to the handlebars, which I think I prefer. At the moment the handlebar mount is on a Space-Grip which I think damps the vibration a little bit (picture seems better than directly on the handlebars), but its still a bit jumpy on crap road surfaces. Has anyone managed to overcome the vibration problem by modifying the camera mounting in any way?

Top Bottom