Best place to start with a new bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just received my new bike today, really happy with how it looks and totally thrilled with the way it rides, smooth, light, slick gear changes, easy to ride, money well spent.
Now I know I am going to have a few desires to upgrade and add on gizmos, but what is really necessary and what is not.
My first thought was that I should get one of those computers for recording miles and such, but I need advise! Is this and other things needed.
What is sensible and what is just overkill, I fly fish and know how that goes (tackle tart) is the phrase that comes to mind.
At the moment I ride the local bridal paths around Harrogate, it's a Trek seven . four and the only thing on it is a water bottle and cage. Thank you in advance.

Cyclist33

That really depends how badly you want to record yourself! I used to, but gave up as I couldn't be bothered. I just use an online map thing to map my ride after, but I don't aim to log my actual times and speeds in any meaningful sense.

I would just ride and enjoy it. A good inexpensive upgrade is tyres, do your research and you can sometimes change quite some of the bike's character with different tyres, to taste.

vickster

Legendary Member
You could use your smart phone and strava or similar. I like to see how fast / slow I am going, and have always use Cateye velo wireless computers for this

wintergreen

A spare inner tube, p*ncture outfit + tyre levers, some basic tools or a multi tool for emergency roadside repairs and of course a pump are essentials. Along with lights if you intend riding in the evenings or early mornings. You don't really need much else.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I used Map My Ride, a free app, on my phone to map my route for me so that I could see where I'd been.
+1 on the puncture repair kit, pump etc. Always handy. I keep my repair kit, spare innertube etc in a little saddlebag that is just big enough for a small flapjack too. Priorities, you see.

Big Nick

The things I've bought are

- a garmin 200 gps speedo (downloading your rides is addictive and let's you monitor your progress, phone apps eat your phone battery, not good if you needed to make an urgent call when out on a ride)
- small wedge shaped seat bag
- multitool, mini pump & plastic tyre levers
- couple of spare inner tubes
- replaced the standard tyres with slightly wider Conti GP4000's
- some very nice (and light) Campagnolo Zonda wheels

Probably around £400 in total but as the price of my bike was discounted by £400 when I bought it, in my world all the above were actually free!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryan McDonald

Bryan McDonald

Regular
Thank you every one, looks like it could amount to quite a list of items. I think it could become a case of less is more for me at least, I think the multi tool and spare tube with tyre levers and a pump is a good idea perhaps even an essential, mud guards will be going on as well.
I have thought deeply about the spedo computer add on, the conclusion I have found about that is as soon as I put a time or a level of expectation on something it creates stress.Sort of like a customer asking exactly what time his car is going to be fixed as he needs to be in a certain place at a given time. Think I will just ride around and just follow my nose for a while, although I do wear a watch.
Slightly off topic, do any of you guys go fishing with your bike as transport, as I want to do this and just wondering if it is an enjoyable way to go or is it counter active to the enjoyment of the day?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Slightly off topic, do any of you guys go fishing with your bike as transport, as I want to do this and just wondering if it is an enjoyable way to go or is it counter active to the enjoyment of the day?
Carrying fishing tackle would ruin a lovely bike ride for me. It would definitely be counter active to the enjoyment of the day ^_^ Imagine a nice 50 miler carting around a rod, tackle box and bloomin' maggots while you ride. Nope, flapjack and some jelly babies are all you need.:becool:

wintergreen

I have thought deeply about the spedo computer add on, the conclusion I have found about that is as soon as I put a time or a level of expectation on something it creates stress.Sort of like a customer asking exactly what time his car is going to be fixed as he needs to be in a certain place at a given time. Think I will just ride around and just follow my nose for a while, although I do wear a watch.
QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^ This

I Have never been interested in how fast I can go or in beating personal best's. Ride for the pleasure of riding. Take things at whatever pace you feel like on the day.
I do have a gps (Garmin Edge Touring) which is used purely for navigation in areas I am not familiar with. I believe once I start putting pressure on myself to beat certain times or break personal speed records it detracts from the purpose of riding which in my case is pleasure.
This is just my point of view, Others like the challenge of going faster all the time.

Top Bottom