Best puncture resistant tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Commute bike: Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase (25mm). Last replaced the rear after 6,750 puncture free miles. At £14 a top tyre (http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrager-race-lite-hardcase-tyre-id40573.html).

Weekend bike: Rubinos (cheap version, not the pros) (23mm). Last replaced the rear after 5,770 puncture free miles.

Have them both at ~120psi.

And dig out any embedded bits after _every_ ride.

DWiggy

Über Member
My Gatorskins have been bomb proof so far (touch wood) and have about 5k on them, the rear is squaring off a bit but rubber is still fine with only a few small cuts and the side wall has just stared to frey a little, definitely recommended for the commuter, I can also manage a reasonable average on them ^_^ and on Wiggle they are only around £20 (wired) and £25 (folding) although was contemplating the 4000s the next time as the Gskins are a little heavy?

Wobblers

Euthermic
The last word in puncture resistance is Schwalbe Marathon Plusses (okay, that's three words :smile:). Heavy the certainly are, but I've found the criticisms of a harsh ride unfounded at least in the 32 mm size I run. They're also quite good grip wise - when I was running M+ at the front and Panaracer Paselas at the back, it was the back that stepped out on slippery roundabouts on more than one occasion: just as well it hadn't been the other way round!

Durano plusses also seem to be very good, and come in 23 mm size. I've not tried the Michelin Pro4 Endurance yet, but the tyre they replaced, the Krylion Carbon was very good.

It has been said before but I think bears repeating, whatever tyre you end up with, do:

a) check for road shrapnel, regularly, and
b) inflate tyres, regularly.

Do both, regularly, and the propensity for punctures will diminish in inverse proportion.

BSRU

A Human Being
The time lost due to using heavy Marathon plus tyres with their harsh ride and not too great wet weather characteristics is far far greater than time lost due to punctures.
If you are completely puncture averse and/or ride across tonnes of broken glass go for a better tyre for a better ride, ensuring you check for unwanted visitors on their way the inner tube.

Davidc

Guru
There are loads of good puncture resistant tyres, see above.

There are no pneumatic tyres that are puncture proof.

I now have marathons (not the plus ones) on all bikes and have had one puncture in 4000 miles riding. Doesn't mean we won't get one next time any of the bikes is used, just that they resist punctures and we've been lucky.

And what Shadow says in post #21.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Thanks for the replies . I had another puncture today grrrr so called around for some opinions and prices . I'm tempted to go for the schwabiwable ones as I have those on my mtb , they have resisted the hawthorn hedge I ride past for a few years .
When I questioned how heavy the tires where and likened it to a bottle of water I was told they are no where near that heavy . Getting on the mtb however I now notice how sluggish things are . I don't want that on the road bike as I'm loving the speed !

g0kmt

I had a puncture the other week and it had nothing to do with the tyre - it was the rim tape doubled over, exposing a spoke!

DinoT1985

I was looking into the Durano Plus. I've used Marathon Plus in the past which were great but quite slow. Does anyone have any experience with the Durano Plus in winter conditions?

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I went for Continental Gatorskins in the end . Mainly because they only had one Marathon plus in stock . Why a shop only has one tyre in stock has me baffled :huh:

Top Bottom