Best puncture resistant tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
For a road bike .
I had my first puncture yesterday so the next purchase are new tyres . I have schwalbe on my mtb and they have not let me down after about 15 punctures before I got them .... Hawthorn hedge !
Are schwabiwable the best or are there better options ?

philinmerthyr

Über Member
For a road bike .
I had my first puncture yesterday so the next purchase are new tyres . I have schwalbe on my mtb and they have not let me down after about 15 punctures before I got them .... Hawthorn hedge !

Why do you need new tyres? Everyone gets a puncture now and again. Are your tyres worn out?

I've got conti 4000s they are pretty good.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Everybody has their own individual favorites. I use Continental GP Four Seasons....some people hate them. Duranos are favoured by others.. If you type "puncture proof tyre" into the CC Search box, a whole load of threads and opinions will be thrown up.

Good luck.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
There are lots of tyres available, but what constitutes the best depends on what you want from a tyre, how much puncture resistance do you want, where are you prepared to compromise?

Puncture resistance comes at a price, either in terms of money or in terms of weight, rolling resistance, grip etc,

I find these tyres acceptable in terms of puncture resistance:

Vittoria Rubino Pro
Continental Grand Prix
Continental Grand Prix GT
Continental Gatorskin
Continental GP4000s
Michelin Pro4 Endurance
Schwalbe Durano

However out of those I only rate the grip on the Continental Grand Prix, Grand Prix GT and GP4000s.

If you want extreme puncture resistance then you need to look at Schwalbe Marathon plus, or city riding tyres like Freedom Racine Deluxe.

Widge

Baldy Go
The puncture fairy can strike anywhere anyhow and anyone IMO!! I've had my fair share and there ain't really any such thing as total immunity. I've just got better (actually no-not better-just more resigned) at fixing them.

HAVING SAID THAT..... it was interesting to read that Rubino Pros had someone's endorsement and that Schwalbe have a good rep for puncture resistance.
I have been running Rubino Pros on my Roadie and Schwalbe tyres on my MTB this year and have been puncture-free so far (touch wood and spit 3 times!)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 2567120, member: 30090"]Marathon plus ime have the best puncture protection.[/quote]
Yes, I think that's pretty much accepted by most people. A possible problem for some people is that they are heavy, and when I last looked, they didn't come skinnier than 25 mm.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Gatorskins have had the biggest hit while looking online . Is having puncture resistant tyres really that bad on the performance of the bike ?

AndyPeace

Over 3k miles on my gatorskins without a flat so far. I think tire pressure plays a big part, which should be matched to your weight. Even with great puncture protection an under inflated tire is much more likely to puncture. I suspect the tires they replaced (conti - 4 seasons) were more prone as I'd had no track pump at the time and I was probably running too low a pressure. I still have them and used them again at the tail end of winter without problems. On my mtb I have Schwalbe big apple tires and they are about 5 years old now (but probably only around 5/6k miles) they do puncture but it's few and far between. Sometimes nasties get embedded into a tire and slowly work there way through the protection, if your getting a lot of flats I'd check the tire for these. As others have said, no inflated tire is going to stop you getting punctures, just make it less probable.

AndyPeace

Gatorskins have had the biggest hit while looking online . Is having puncture resistant tyres really that bad on the performance of the bike ?

As well as adding weight they detract from the flexibility of a tire. A more subtle tire is better able to shape itself to the road. Instead of all the micro bumps on the road slowing the wheel, they are better absorbed by the tire. Probably only significant if you are racing or time trialing ;)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you want to go as fast as possible, or race, then yes. If you want to get to work on time on your commute, bomb-proof tyres will be attractive. It's a compromise that each individual will make. I went for reasonably puncture-resistant thin (ish) tyres, mainly out of vanity...:sad:

PK99

Legendary Member
For a road bike .

There are punctures. And then there are punctures....

Depends what sort of thing you are protecting against, glass shards etc on city streets or thorns on country lanes. I found the specialized borough tyres that came with my various tricross bikes (don't ask...) to be flint magnets, even the Armadillo version would pick up flints that worked their way through very effectively.

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's a very subjective thing I feel. Some people above rate the grip of GP4000s, I think it's awful! I have Marathons on my commuter bike and am now getting a little tired (??) of them as I've had two punctures in a month.

On my distance bike, I have Duranos and wouldn't set off on a 200 miler on anything else.

For the price, I don't think you can beat Rubinos but you will get the occasional puncture, everyone does. It just doesn't feel as bad when you've only paid £12 for a fairly light tyre.

Top Bottom