Best Puncture resistent tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

decca234uk

After being plagued by punctures over the lat month I'm looking to buy some decent tyres. I'm almost decided on Specialized Armadillo All Condition Pro. Has anyone had any experiences of these tyres, whether good or bad? I'd appreciate any advice before I buy a set.

Thanks

You could also give Marathons a look.I hear a lot of good stuff about Marathons apart from the fact they can be a bugger to get on.

MGBLemonrider

When I started my commuting on an 80's racer last year I was plagued with punctures. In the end I put a lot of it down to poorly fitted Kevlar strip between tube and carcass - I hadn't cut it down enough and chamfered it properly having decided to remove the strips I then managed to bend my derailleur, hanger and frame. So new bike.
I fitted initially Schwalbe Blizzards, and then on to Conti Ultra Gator skins x2.
Whilst neither totally puncture proof the odd thorn or shard has made it's way through, but I have pulled out an awful lot stuff that hadn't got through.
However I'm still having to replace a set at about 700miles, I think because of slits and sidewall damage due to pothole strikes.
I've just taken delivery of a pair of Schwalbe Durano Plus- my first experience with folded tyres. They were a bugger to fit and I did manage to pinch the rear tube. I'm yet to actualy ride on them. they certainly look more substantial than the Gator skins. I'm prepared for them to be slower as a trade off.

700Cx23 and 16 stone of fatty on really rubbishy maintained road at about 17mph average worth of hamering along - YMMV

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
hackbike 666 said:
You could also give Marathons a look.I hear a lot of good stuff about Marathons apart from the fact they can be a bugger to get on.

marathons are all right to get on, marathon pluses are a complete nightmare to get on, especially if you have a higher tyre to internal rim ratio e.g. 1.8.

marinyork said:
marathons are all right to get on, marathon pluses are a complete nightmare to get on, especially if you have a higher tyre to internal rim ratio e.g. 1.8.

Ok thanks for that...never tried.....also as these tyres are p*nct*re resistant it's best to check every now and again for glass in the tyre...as already pointed out on here and also something I must do.

gbb

Legendary Member
Nick_B said:
I run Continental Gatorskins (www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18800) which get good reviews and have had very few punctures. I believe that these are lighter than the Armadillos.

I always run Gators, they're acknowledged to be faster than most others, but you have to accept they can slit occasionally. Ive binned one for that reason and had another i had to keep an eye on.
But generally, i like them.

potsy

Rambler
MGBLemonrider said:
When I started my commuting on an 80's racer last year I was plagued with punctures. In the end I put a lot of it down to poorly fitted Kevlar strip between tube and carcass - I hadn't cut it down enough and chamfered it properly having decided to remove the strips I then managed to bend my derailleur, hanger and frame. So new bike.
I fitted initially Schwalbe Blizzards, and then on to Conti Ultra Gator skins x2.
Whilst neither totally puncture proof the odd thorn or shard has made it's way through, but I have pulled out an awful lot stuff that hadn't got through.
However I'm still having to replace a set at about 700miles, I think because of slits and sidewall damage due to pothole strikes.
I've just taken delivery of a pair of Schwalbe Durano Plus- my first experience with folded tyres. They were a bugger to fit and I did manage to pinch the rear tube. I'm yet to actualy ride on them. they certainly look more substantial than the Gator skins. I'm prepared for them to be slower as a trade off.

700Cx23 and 16 stone of fatty on really rubbishy maintained road at about 17mph average worth of hamering along - YMMV
Just fitted some Durano+ too,4 commutes so far and all is well.I'd say they are slightly slower than my conti 4 seasons but would expect that as they are almost 400g each.
Ride does feel slightly more cushioned though,despite them being pumped up to 130psi(max is 145) had no problems fitting mine tbh,compared to the Marathon+ they almost fell onto the rim:biggrin:
Gatorskins were poor for me on my hybrid,2 flats and a bit slippery in the wet too,retired them to the spares box after 200 miles:sad:

gavintc

Guru
I think the best puncture resistance you can use is the pump. Keep the tyres nice and hard and you will reduce your punctures. I run a lightweight Conti 4000s on all my bikes and get a visitation about once every 6 months or so. The last one was a pothole in Mar, and I think before that last May/Jun.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
hackbike 666 said:
Ok thanks for that...never tried.....also as these tyres are p*nct*re resistant it's best to check every now and again for glass in the tyre...as already pointed out on here and also something I must do.

They do need checking, very little problems apart from the odd incident. I am not a good tyre changer, I'm probably below average compared to people on here but a lot better than a lot of other cyclists - the ones who basically can't do it! I've changed MTB nobblies, city jets, touring tyres, skinnies on racers and stuff and M+ is the hardest tyre by a country mile followed at a fair distance by the marathons.

Ian Wells

Why not try"StopFlat?" This is a strip of puncture-resistant material that fits between the outer cover and the tube. Carry one with you, then, next puncture, arrange the StopFlat around the inside of the outer cover before putting the tube in. For me, cycling used to be characterised by "punctures and headwinds" but frequent punctures are now a syndrome of the past. Of course, now and again one will still get a puncture, as I did recently- inspection of the outer cover whilst it was off, revealed what looked like a tiny tin-tack, however, upon removal (pliers were needed!) it turned out to be a thorn, so hard and needle-sharp that, caught by the tread at an unfavourable angle, just went straight through everything!! I discovered the StopFlat whilst searching for something else on SJS Cycles web-site and decided to try it.

c2c

redredrobin
i have had a couple of new bikes recently that have been fitted with conti ultra sport, these gave me nothing but trouble, id rather say trouble than the other p word, anyway i changed them for conti ultra gator skins, and henceforth no trouble. i keep them pumped up to about 110psi.

UKPhil

The tyres that came with my wilier gave me about 5 flats in the first 250 miles. Changed them to Armadillos, not had a problem since in a similar distance.

Top Bottom