Best road shoe; money no object.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'm after a new pair of road shoes, my Scott's are knackered and there's not a lot of life left in them. I'm after something I can wear for 6 to 8 hours a day on the bike, day after day. I'm rather tempted by Carnac but will obviously try loads on.

If money was no concern, what would you get? Nothing too tarty :biggrin:

jasper

I ride Carnac Impacts, they're comfy as and will take any cleat as you replace the part of the sole with the bolt pattern to match your cleat. They're a Tri shoe so close with one big velcro strap but still very secure. Although having said that, they may now be obsolete.

The latest edition (Sept) of 220 Mag have the Scott Pro's in. They're very light and use the Boa fastening system. The carbon soles come up the sides to increase stiffness & power transfer. They've got mesh panels for ventilation. They rate them at 8/10, pricey though, £169.99 & tarty:

CYP210.shoes.scotltd_prevedit-400-75.jpg

shooter560

When I was looking for new shoes I went to my LBS, got every set in my size out and tried them all on, working my way through till I was left with 3 sets, then I fitted my cleats to them all and rode with them, I was able to pick the pair that fitted me best, felt most comfortable etc, they were and are the Specialized S Works, OK they cost then almost £200 (now down to £160 odd) but even after 9 hours in the saddle my feet don't hurt or anything, even in heat they are cool, in heavy rain yes I get wet feet but the vents in the soles allow for water to drain so when it stops raining my feet start to dry out quickly.

I have no doubt that I'll be getting another pair next year but I'll go through the same routine just in case

kyuss

Veteran
For off the peg shoes then I'd go for some Sidi Ergo 2 or Genius 6.6.

Money no object I'd be getting a pair of custom Bont's. I think they are totally gorgeous and they are moulded to your feet so would be about the most comfortable thing around. I think Bent Mikey has a pair of their skates.

jasper

Just noticed in the 220 Mag Shimano have also got a new Tri shoe...TR70, priced at £199.99. They've not tested it yet (due in a later edition) but the advertising blurb says, "They're the absolute last word in comfort and performance."

They have a custom fit material that moulds to your foot contours, vented insoles which are treated with an anti-bacterium to prevent pongs. Other highlights include carbon fibre insole for greater rigidity & lower weight; soft and seamless lining for use without socks; and wide reverse-closure velcro for rapid fitting. They're SPD and Look compatible, available in October.

yenrod

Rab said:
Yenrod, I am just about to buy a pair of these, Are they worth the money?

I tried a pair on and they certainly felt good.

What weight are they?

Yeah, they're ok - not sure on the weight but they are a good buy.

The side/vent hole things do seem to work in a way.

They're carbon stiff which is as stiff as your gonna get.

I paid £145 on wiggle but I feel £160 would be too much.

I know Evans had some for £99 -

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/northwave/aerlite-road-shoe-ec011844

If i were you i'd grab these...

yenrod said:
Yeah, they're ok - not sure on the weight but they are a good buy.

The side/vent hole things do seem to work in a way.

They're carbon stiff which is as stiff as your gonna get.

I paid £145 on wiggle but I feel £160 would be too much.

I know Evans had some for £99 -

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/northwave/aerlite-road-shoe-ec011844

If i were you i'd grab these...

Yenrod

Thanks for the quick response, Evans was where I saw them - Good price methinks

Current shoes are a bit sore after 3 - 4 hours, hence the need for a change.

MessenJah

Rider
I'd either get these Ergo 2's, because of the adjustable heel cup (and because they look ace)

Ergo2Carb_SteelMetSilv.jpg

Copy%20of%20PartErgo2_2.jpg

Or these Energy 2's, because I don't like velcro straps:

Energy2CarCo_SteelSilv.jpg

OP
OP
Y

yello

jasper said:
So what did you buy in the end Yello?

Nothing as yet. I tried on a pair of Carnac M3s during the week. Very comfortable but as the shop only stocked Carnac it is difficult to make objective comparisons. Carnac do a 'tailor made' option but I suspect that'd be out of my budget!

Unfortunately, I don't have a shop around here that has decent stocks. I'll have to have a day in Limoges I reckon (around 100km away) as see what there is there.

Those Sidi Energy 2 look a bit nice though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Spesh Pro Carbons for me - I just wasn't keen on the Boa system. Just done 120 miles, and other than normal aches and pains, my feet are fine - excellent power transfer, and they fit well.

I have Sidi's as well (Genius 2's - years old) and they are good, but a bit narrow, and way overpriced compared to the Spesh equivalent. The Spesh shoes are great value for money.

Top Bottom