Best road tyres for training?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I've ben using Michelin Pro 3 Race tyres and although they are excellent I can't afford to run these for training anymore and they are probably not the best in winter either.

What's the best cheap road tyre 700x23 for training and winter use?

It must be cheap

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Michelin Krylion Carbon = absolutely cracking tyre.

Slightly cheaper, worsepuncture protection = Michelin Lithion.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member

Michelin Krylion Carbon = £32 each!

Anyway, this thread is already redundant for me as I've already just bought some Lugano's for £10

Tynan

Veteran
I used Luganos for a long time and only recently stopped using them on the rear after a spate of flats, odd ecause they'd done me proud for years, I suspected either a ad atch or iffy storage at the LBS

Tynan

Veteran
too many snacks, the left control is buggered too

might be time oo spunk the cah on a new one

zacklaws

Guru
I use "Bontrager Race lite all weather plus" I switched to these a few months ago after the LBS recommended them to me and found them so far the best tyre that I have used. You can get them for about £21 if you shop around, easy to fit so no major problems out on the road, the first tyre that I have actually worn out completly and had to replace after I think 3500 miles with no punctures and good grip in the wet. I did get my puncture a fortnight ago in one of them, but it was a big lump of steel which would have penetrated anything, it was very difficult to extract from the tyre, and afterwards I could not even find a mark in the tyre where it had penetrated, I have a feeling it was a chunk of a cars brake that had no shoe or pad and it was metal on metal showering shards of metal all over as it disintegrated.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...d/product/race-lite-all-weather-plus-10-37590

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I'm now using:

Michelin Pro 3 Race; for summer and racing (£30 each)

Schwalbe Lugano; for training and winter (£10 each)

both 700x23 Black/Black

Forgivness sought if this is a daft question :blush: - whats the diifference between a 'normal tyre' and a training tyre - and more importantly to me... if id only spent £300 on a new road bike and i'm just a fat basta*d newbie (at the moment) would it make any difference at all?

No hijack intended - it just seemed sensible to ask in this thread.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

I have Krylion Carbons in 25c, ran them as my winter tyres and hate them, dead feel and slippy when wet. Barely wear though. They have many fans.
I run PR3's all summer and I agree they're too good for winter use. As my rear one is borked I've just bought a Bonty Hardcase Racelight as a replacement and I'll carry-on with the front PR3 (I want an excuse to buy a colourful pair in spring)!
Lots of my pals run the Bonty's and seem to suffer very few unplanned deflations.

Cheap enough for ya?
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119612.html

Neil
A training tyre is just one that's more durable and cheaper(also heavier and slower) than your sunday best racing tyre, especially if you run Tubular tyres on your v. bestest wheels.

Decent tyres improve any bikes feel, handling, grip and speed.

zacklaws

Guru
These are the ones that I refer to above

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119526.html

I did use the ordinary racelite's at one point but found they had very poor grip in the wet and even crashed on them in the wet. I have not used the hardcase version, they was on my shopping list of tyre's to try as they was recomended by a friend, but they have still got the outer casing of the ordinary racelite so I am wary of them but they may be ok.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Forgivness sought if this is a daft question :blush: - whats the diifference between a 'normal tyre' and a training tyre - and more importantly to me... if id only spent £300 on a new road bike and i'm just a fat basta*d newbie (at the moment) would it make any difference at all?

No hijack intended - it just seemed sensible to ask in this thread.

winter/training tyres are harder wearing, cheaper and generally heavier and slower and usually offer more grip in bad conditions.

summer/racing tyres are light and fast but often wear out quickly and cost a fortune.

Top Bottom