Best route into Leeds from South

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSurfer

I want to drive to somewhere about 5 miles out on the South side of Leeds and ride to the Headrow.

I would prefer to be able to not get sweaty as I have no wash facilities, but could manage a change of clothes.

I will be riding fixed (only practical bike I have) so it will need to fairly flat to achieve the non sweat requirement. Therefore starting point looks likely to be around Rothwell area (near to M1). Free parking would be a bonus.

I'd rather not get killed so I would like less busy roads - this will become more challenging as I get nearer to the Headrow obviously.

I have the Leeds cycling map but it all looks to get confusing after Cross Gates area.

Does Pontefract Road from J44 of M1 sound feasible? Will I need stadium lighting or is it well lit around there?

Many thanks!

Womble

Not sure about the best route to take - but the not getting sweaty should be pretty easy as long as you don't go to mad as Leeds centre seems to be downhill from pretty much every where.

Now i'll probably get shouted at for saying this but if you are coming in from Cross Gates -the pavements are really wide until you hit York road where there is a wide cycle/bus lane all the way into the centre which is reasonable as you are kept well away from the rest of the cars. I cycle back every day on this and although not ideal it is passable. Looking at the leeds cycle map there is a route through Richmond Hill that's supposed to take you down to the River Aire - i've tried finding this coming the other way a couple of times but to no avail.

Not sure if this really helps??

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Have to say I've never cycled this, and what seems relatively flat in a car is potentially anything but on a bike....but I'd try this:

- Head up Wood Lane from Rothwell and right onto A61 Wakefield Road
- Follow the A61 until you get to Asda House
- Head north over the bridge to the Headrow

If the A61 is too busy, get onto the A639 then the B6481 until you meet the A61 further up. Once you get into town the A61 isn't too scary...I've cycled that bit and it's flat.

Good luck...

alicat

Legendary Member
try this

You can customise a google map.

I used to cycle from Halton to Leeds Poly and went through the Halton Moor estate, round the back of the abattoir, through Cross Green and clipped Richmond Hill. It was fairly easy to find a route because I went to school on Richmond Hill. You just have to follow your nose the first few times and be prepared for it to back a bit longer the first time.

Top Bottom