Best seat and cycling strategy for piles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stayawesome

Sadly I suffer from quite severe piles. Their prevelance tends to fluctuate, at times I can be in quite a lot of pain.

I'm sad to say that cycling can exacerbate them although it's more the case of cycling being painful after they flare up.

Pain killers help but ultimately I wondered if any of you have had much success with various seats?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I had some success with the Selle SMP TRK saddle.

It also worked wonders for the Sciatica at the time

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Get them fixed is only real cure. Op. is no problem but initial aftermath is no fun. First visit to the loo was described to me by a GP with experience as like passing a red hot cannon ball wrapped in barbed wire. She was not wrong.
Having said that the wounds soon heal up and life returns to normal. That was a few years ago and procedures may well have improved by now.

OP
OP
S

Stayawesome

Get them fixed is only real cure. Op. is no problem but initial aftermath is no fun. First visit to the loo was described to me by a GP with experience as like passing a red hot cannon ball wrapped in barbed wire. She was not wrong.
Having said that the wounds soon heal up and life returns to normal. That was a few years ago and procedures may well have improved by now.

Sadly it's very difficult to get surgery like that on the NHS these days as it's recently been put on this list.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jun/29/nhs-wields-the-axe-on-17-unnecessary-procedures

To be honest, mine hasn't quite reached the point where I need surgery, well it might help. It's just sad how it's one of those conditions that will not get much better with time, even using various creams to try and shrink the piles.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That list is terrible Stayawsome as a stage can be reached where nothing else works. I do not think it applies in Scotland.

OP
OP
S

Stayawesome

That list is terrible Stayawsome as a stage can be reached where nothing else works. I do not think it applies in Scotland.

Yeah it's a bit tough.

I have a condition called bile acid maladsorption which is probably what made them deteriorate so much as it's basically a case of bile acid constantly leaking out of you rectum. I do try to manage it now with medication but it's not perfect, thus the piles will get worse over time, it's almost guaranteed.

Unfortunately cycling does excerbate them and excuse me for being frank but , coupled with the bile acid, when they bleed they can make you look like you've soiled yourself. Given this I've taken to using bladder control pads to prevent this.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I first had them 45 years ago and suffered with them for another 17 years, one day they were really painful and out of desperation I grabbed some Drapolene out of the cupboard and spread that on, a miracle occurred and the pain improved used daily they have not given a problem since. Yes I was diagnosed had seen a consultant and was waiting for the op, which I cancelled.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Another vote for Selle SMP saddles. Not the same issue but I love this saddle.
However you still need to get the problem sorted properly.

Top Bottom