Best shed stain/paint stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
I did my shed last year in Sikkenns. Quality paint but its not cheap at about £25 a litre.

Last edited by a moderator:

slowwww

Veteran
Sadolin Extra Durable Woodstain. Prepare the wood as stated on the tin, apply 2 coats and you'll get a minimum of 5 years from it as opposed to barely a year from a Ronseal/Cuprinol equivalent.

I have 2 sheds, both in full sun and have just recoated one after 7 years and the wood underneath is still perfect, with no flaking or blistering. The other that is sheltered from rain will go at least another couple of years before a further coat is required.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Sadolin Extra Durable Woodstain. Prepare the wood as stated on the tin, apply 2 coats and you'll get a minimum of 5 years from it as opposed to barely a year from a Ronseal/Cuprinol equivalent.

I have 2 sheds, both in full sun and have just recoated one after 7 years and the wood underneath is still perfect, with no flaking or blistering. The other that is sheltered from rain will go at least another couple of years before a further coat is required.
Apparently that stuff has a semi gloss finish, I don't want a shiny shed! Is the classic Matt stuff much the same (similar price)...although neither appear to come in green other than as a special mix

I'm assuming Sadolin shed and fence no better than the other brands?

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Cuprinol "Garden Shades" stuff - used it on the Arbour and summer house and it comes in just about any colour.

I used that to cover shed and fence panels right round the garden. It's great if you want a particular shade. However, they've discontinued the shade I used so now I have a problem when panels need recoating.

kiwifruit

Über Member
You can use woodstains. I used Johnstones Opaque (Trade) wood finish on my shed is mircoporous meaning is breathable. Last time I paint my shed was about 4 years ago. Is not cheap is normally about £70 + vat, I think Johnstones having a summer sales on woodworks and masonry paint. The opaque is down to roughly £30 + vat for a 5 litre.

Hicky

Guru
I used that to cover shed and fence panels right round the garden. It's great if you want a particular shade. However, they've discontinued the shade I used so now I have a problem when panels need recoating.

The only way of avoiding stuff like this when the t'otherhalf is trying to convince you a nice lilac or duck egg blue shade will brighten the garden is to remind her that they'll discontinue it and only a generic brown or green will always be available.....even if dull.

I am painting my fence at the moment using ronseal fence life and i have to say i am really pleased with it.
Forty two panels to do:ohmy: and the weather isn't helping but it looks like i will get away with just one coat.
There is probably better wood paint/stain out there but i saw this in b&q on offer at £10 for 12 litres so i bagged it.

alicat

Legendary Member
The only way of avoiding stuff like this when the t'otherhalf is trying to convince you a nice lilac or duck egg blue shade will brighten the garden is to remind her that they'll discontinue it and only a generic brown or green will always be available.....even if dull.

1. I'm female
2. I live by myself
3. I chose 'Holly' thinking it would always be around
4. I checked after posting and it seems Cuprinol have seen sense and reintroduced Holly so all is well with the world again. ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I am painting my fence at the moment using ronseal fence life and i have to say i am really pleased with it.
Forty two panels to do:ohmy: and the weather isn't helping but it looks like i will get away with just one coat.
There is probably better wood paint/stain out there but i saw this in b&q on offer at £10 for 12 litres so i bagged it.

42 panels, OMG. Only got about 8, and 4 are only 3 foot !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
1. I'm female
2. I live by myself
3. I chose 'Holly' thinking it would always be around
4. I checked after posting and it seems Cuprinol have seen sense and reintroduced Holly so all is well with the world again. ^_^

We have about 3 different shades in the garden. The cream for inside the about and summer house, and then a blue and a green blue (I kept the tins so I know what colours next time).

Chris S

Legendary Member
I know i may get some flack off other members for saying this but i use old engine oil mixed with a little diesel. It lasts for years
I use new engine oil on my garden gates/fence. It's cheaper to buy it in 5 litre cans but my car only uses 3 and a bit litres. I've got two litres left over every year to use as wood preservative.

Top Bottom