Best Shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zenroad

I'm shopping for new set of 10-speed shifters. Shifters only. NOT integrated. They will connect directly to the bars. I thought I was set on Shimano XT, but that's because I haven't really considered anything else. And THAT'S because I've had dual purpose XT brake lever/shifters for the last 13 years with no problems. What else is out there? Anybody have a favorite? What's the sturdiest? Weight is not an issue. Any ideas thoughts on the XT shifters? Like them? Problems? Problem-free?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

I guess what I'm asking is, Who sets the standard when it comes to mtb shifters? Shimano? SRAM? Some other brand I don't know about? I want good shifting every time without failure. Who doesn't? What Shimano XTR? Over-priced and under-performing? I don't mind paying the price as long as it lives up to it. What's the best performing shifters I can get?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Define the criteria for 'best' and 'best performing'? Under what conditions? Playing down the woods or racing for glory?

"Good shifting every time without failure" is something we all aspire to but the reality is inevitably different on the trail cos **** happens.

So, that said.....

I run SRAM X0 and cannot fault it in all-year in SE England, and in summer Welsh and Scottish, Spanish or French Alpine conditions. A very influential mtb magazine in the UK has just given STX its seal of approval as groupset of the year. I've run XT in the past, and in the distant past XTR and never really understood the price premium of xtr over xt when the performance gain is marginal.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Thanks again, Greg. This set will NOT see off-road use. They're going on a Surly Troll that will become an expedition bike. Primarily asphalt, but also dirt road, and some gravel paths. Fully loaded: 50 pounds of gear in front and rear panniers. Just beginning the build as we speak. Hopefully will have it all together by next summer. It's time to shop for shifter levers. I already have (still in box) Shimano XT brake levers (single purpose!), to which I will attach Avid BB7 disc brakes. My current Klein has always had dual-purpose XTR shifters/brakes. They've been reliable over the last 13 years. But I was never a fan of dual-purpose. Separating them this time. I've been reading about the SRAM.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
'xpedition bike. Wouldn't the folks at Adventure Cycling insist you go drops and bar end shifters? Or Thumbies? ;)

I'd go XT (or even Deore LX) if it were me on the basis of ubiquity when travelling.

lulubel

Über Member
'I'd go XT (or even Deore LX) if it were me on the basis of ubiquity when travelling.

I'd agree with this. As long as it's Shimano for ease of repair/replacement in case they do break, I don't think it matters which ones they are from the point of view of longevity. The low end ones (Alivio, maybe?) on my old MTB are still shifting as well now as they did 3 years ago when they were new, with no maintenance other than the occasional clean, but the mid-range SLX ones on my new MTB are crisper and a delight to use by comparison.

Hmm .... having read that, I think if you're used to XT, you should go for XT. From what I've read, it seems to be the "sweet spot" in the range, and you might find anything lower end is clunky by comparison.

(I'm so jealous, by the way. I want a Surly Troll. I have no need whatsoever for a full on expedition bike, but I want one, and I want to have the need for it. Maybe one day ....)

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Thanks, Greg, Funny you should mention Adventure Cycling. I'm going to roll through their offices during the trip. Shock the hell out of them with the set-up.:laugh: This trip will take me from Florida (my home) to California and then on to Japan. See my website for details. www.tohokuforward.org.

Will probably end up with XT or XTR. Just checking.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks, Greg, Funny you should mention Adventure Cycling. I'm going to roll through their offices during the trip. Shock the hell out of them with the set-up.:laugh: This trip will take me from Florida (my home) to California and then on to Japan. See my website for details. www.tohokuforward.org.

Will probably end up with XT or XTR. Just checking.
I'll look forward to your photo on the inside back cover then! Though I've never yet ridden in the US outside of NYC, Buffalo and Boston I'm a member. Blue Ridge Parkway is near the top of my bucket list.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Greg-
Blue Ridge Parkway is devastating. So many miles of it are so distracting that it would be very easy to plunge off the roadside to an early death. Shenandoah Vally comes to mind. I'll catch part of it on my trip. But I grew up here in the east, so I'm looking most forward to being out west, where I lived briefly as a child, toured once many years ago, and have driven several times in a car. The Rockies are beyond description. Other-wordly.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
XT is the best combo of price, reliability and performance. Id choose them over SRAM X9, and XTR and X0 are silly expensive for no real performance benefit over XT.
You want real silly expensive you need to go XX, X0 is so last year ;)

Top Bottom