Best Shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Carbon breaks to easily. Give me metal. Heavy metal.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Carbon breaks to easily. Give me metal. Heavy metal.
I agree. But I'm a Clydesdale so weightweenie-ing is a little ridiculous in my case. I only generally buy carbon stuff* if that is what comes on the new bike and wouldn't even think of upgrading to carbon bars or seat posts on an off road bike.

*one exception is a pair of secondhand carbon cranks which I got cheap.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Ha! Electronic shifting!! What's it gonna be next? An automatic crankset that goes round and round without us having to pedal it ourselves? I already have one! It's called a Kawasaki KLR650. Electronic shifting is...what, exactly? At the press of a button, I get: accurate, effective, reliable, and quick shifting? I already have that. It's called Shimano rapid fire, and it's all mechanical, baby! At the mere click of a button... Love the stuff. And NO BATTERIES needed! My god, I can't think of anything I'd rather NOT have on my bicycle than electronic shifting. Call me lo-tech. Keep it simple, folks.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

By the way, I ordered Shimano XT SL-M780 shifters yesterday. Good price, free shipping. I've been using XT dual-purpose shifter/brake levers for 13 years, and it's been spot-on. No complaints. Shimano it is. I just hope the shifters come with that little plastic disc that replaces the optical gear display. Another piece of useless tech. I KNOW which gear I'm in---the one that feels right!:bicycle:

02GF74

Über Member
don't rule out the SLX range, works pretty well as far as I can tell.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Shimano XT SL-M780 shifters are on the way in the mail. If they work as well as the XT dual-controls I've had for 13 years, I'll be happy. I'm just hoping that I can give the gear display the heave-ho and find a little plastic cover plate for the open wound. Im reading that it can be hard to come by. What the..? I wonder why Shimano stopped including it with the levers. A small piece of plastic.:angry:

Expedition touring bikes should have thumb shifters. Much less complicated than Rapidfire. (Ps the proper term for 'dual-control' is STI (Shi**no Total Integration)).
thumbiesd1thumb.jpg

Top Bottom