Best small/medium hatch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
So basically, everyone tells you what car they. or someone they know has, and that'll be your 'better option'?
Same with many things you see talked about in this forum...
But I will partake cos it's all we can do, give our limited experiences....
Best...what is best ?, best at what ?
I have a 2015 Astra, brought with 12k miles at around a year old, now sitting at 68k. Really, it's hardly cost me a penny other than tyres and MOTs, wiper blades and a couple bulbs...oh and a coil pack. 5 years ownership and excluding the tyres and MOTs (they're just normal running costs) its cost me less than £100,
To me, that's an extraordinarily good car. It's not of course, it's a bit underpowered, a bit heavy on fuel (averages 45 to 50 mpg but I drive steady) ...and it's not particually inspiring or sporty.

I nearly pulled the trigger on a 2018 GTi performance DSG two weeks ago. I cooled off overnight, I decided to keep the GTD at least another year.

View attachment 574847
No reason to change that:becool:.. I don’t think the performance is any better than the standard GTI. Maybe on a track. I wanted the DSG but none available so got a manual.

Edit: I should correct this, it’s my wife’s car really. I hardly ever drive it and have my T5 but if I could have only one car then it would be the golf

Last edited:
OP
OP
oldcarltonfan

oldcarltonfan

Veteran
Thread-update:

After considering numerous options, including those suggested, I discussed the pros and cons of each with my wife. Despite modern ergonomics that should make cars suitable for almost all shapes and sizes, she finds some cars just don’t ‘fit’; I’m a boring average-sized male and seem to fit anything, therefore she gets the casting vote given that we will both drive it.

She politely pretended to listen, then visited the local Toyota dealer (with a punctilious cleaning-regime, distance negotiation etc, all with a closed showroom), haggled a good deal and bought a Corolla Touring Sports (estate) hybrid as it fits her, it fit the requirement and she likes Toyota.

A Corolla should be uber-economical, uber-reliable and have uber-longevity; I don’t mind as it fits what I need, albeit slightly bigger and more expensive. It also has roof rails, reducing any need to put bikes in the back anyway.

Thank you to all of you for the ideas. Proof that no plan survives contact…..

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Thread-update:

After considering numerous options, including those suggested, I discussed the pros and cons of each with my wife. Despite modern ergonomics that should make cars suitable for almost all shapes and sizes, she finds some cars just don’t ‘fit’; I’m a boring average-sized male and seem to fit anything, therefore she gets the casting vote given that we will both drive it.

She politely pretended to listen, then visited the local Toyota dealer (with a punctilious cleaning-regime, distance negotiation etc, all with a closed showroom), haggled a good deal and bought a Corolla Touring Sports (estate) hybrid as it fits her, it fit the requirement and she likes Toyota.

A Corolla should be uber-economical, uber-reliable and have uber-longevity; I don’t mind as it fits what I need, albeit slightly bigger and more expensive. It also has roof rails, reducing any need to put bikes in the back anyway.

Thank you to all of you for the ideas. Proof that no plan survives contact…..
So she bent the top of the budget (or mileage perhaps?) a little? If I'd known that I'd have punted the Corolla as well as the Auris!

Tell her I'm very cross :laugh:

Seriously though, cracking choice for the requirements you laid out.

OP
OP
oldcarltonfan

oldcarltonfan

Veteran
Replace ‘Bent the budget a little’, with, ‘Blew the entire 2021-2023 financial plan’!

However, Toyota challenge the humble cockroach for invulnerability/survivability, so hopefully 20 years and 200000 miles before it needs anything other than routine maintenance or parts.

KneesUp

Guru
Replace ‘Bent the budget a little’, with, ‘Blew the entire 2021-2023 financial plan’!

However, Toyota challenge the humble cockroach for invulnerability/survivability, so hopefully 20 years and 200000 miles before it needs anything other than routine maintenance or parts.
My parents have an X plate Yaris. I believe they have had to buy both an indicator bulb and a rear wiper in the last 5 years so best to put something aside for maintenance:-).

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace

All petrol and diesel cars will be out of service according to the Government by 2030, and hybrids by 2035... so you'll get 14 years out of it unless the dates slip!

All petrol and diesel cars will be out of service according to the Government by 2030, and hybrids by 2035... so you'll get 14 years out of it unless the dates slip!
:laugh: Yeah and in 14 years time we will all be able to afford a £40k electric car with a nationwide charging infrastructure. Not to mention the tax the government will have added to ownership of these vehicles.

Archie_tect

:laugh: Yeah and in 14 years time we will all be able to afford a £40k electric car with a nationwide charging infrastructure. Not to mention the tax the government will have added to ownership of these vehicles.
There'll be plenty of 14 year old electric cars around to buy by then Trip... though what state the batteries will be in by then is anther worry... how they'll recycle or dispose of them will also be a challenge.

Archie_tect

Not quite - they will not be on sale, but they will still be on the road, of course.
Ah, apologies, I thought from the press release that it was a complete phasing out so that there'd be no diesel or petrol cars on the road... I'll see if I can find anything more recent about it.

Top Bottom