Best small/medium hatch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Pre-owned (2018-19 or so) Toyota Auris hybrid in either hatch of Estate flavour, as you preferred.

I neither own, nor know anyone who owns one, but I have run Toyota Hybrids in the past and they are metronomic :okay:

ETFA
Avoid diesels on your mileage, I'd suggest - go petrol or hybrid petrol

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
So basically, everyone tells you what car they. or someone they know has, and that'll be your 'better option'?
Clearly that’s usually how things work when you ask for recommendations on a forum, that people will recommend things that they or someone they know has experience of :wacko:

Gunk

Guru
Golf, had a GT diesel, a 1.6 diesel Match edition and now have a 2017 Golf GTI. The 1.6 diesel we sold to a family friend 3 years ago and it’s still going strong, never misses a beat and ultra reliable as is our GTI.
My old GT diesel was I think 2005 and again a brilliant car

I would suggest a Golf, (I’ve owned 16 in total over the years!) comfortable, well equipped, very well finished, cavernous inside for a medium hatchback and feels like a much more grown up car to drive. £15,000 will buy a good Mk7, although I have a 2015 GTD my recommendation would be the 2.0 TDI GT, its softer to drive and not much slower. The DSG gearbox is brilliant.

I’ve managed to get all manner of bikes in the back with the seats down and there is a vast selection of roof bars and bike carriers available.

Cerdic

I drive lots of different cars at work, so based on personal experience...

I would say that a C-sized car is what you need for carrying a bike. You can usually get one in a Fiesta, Polo, Corsa sized car but it is usually a bit of a faff. So you should be looking at Focus, Golf, Astra sized stuff.

Or maybe an SUV/Crossover type vehicle. The smaller ones, despite their apparent bulk, are actually quite small inside. This type of car is usually based on the platform of an ordinary hatchback so a Vauxhall Mokka, for example, has the same space inside as a Corsa.

So, which brand/model?

If you want reliable buy Japanese or Korean. The cars are all well engineered and drive well. Although Nissans are not quite what they were!

The Focus is a great car, but the ecoboost engines are a bit suspect. VWs are good but a bit bland, and can be pricey for what you get. VW group's other brands are a better bet as you get essentially the same car but cheaper - so Seat or Skoda. Personally I really like Skodas.

If you want to buy new to avoid the possibility of unknown abuse by the previous owner - buy a Dacia. The mechanical bits are tried and tested old Renault, interiors are basic but robust, basically no frills transport. A Duster will do everything you need. Get a three year service plan for £5 (yes £5) per month!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Honda Jizz, aka Honda Fit in some countries.
Easy 50mpg
I can get my CX in the back without removing the front wheel (of the bike, obv...)

OP
OP
oldcarltonfan

oldcarltonfan

Veteran
Quite a few different cars to look at there. I have no favourite makes or models in my driving history and am considering all types (apart from Lotus, it really does mean 'lots of trouble, usually serious'!), its a cost vs reliability vs utility vs NCAP safety balance at the moment and I now have many more types to compare. Thanks again to all of you for the input.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler

So basically, everyone tells you what car they. or someone they know has, and that'll be your 'better option'?
Is that not how we approach buying anything ? Car review magazines, car forums, top gear, fifth gear, all someone else’s opinion, even Clarkson owned the Golf GTI I have and loved it but his thoughts are not necessarily gospel ( as it happens his opinion is in this case as the GTI is B-U- tiful^_^...) I bought a washing machine and checked out all online reviews which are basically another persons opinions on a product. If cars aren’t your thing and you have limited knowledge then asking for owners advice is quiet reasonable really I would have thought.

Last edited:
I would suggest a Golf, (I’ve owned 16 in total over the years!) comfortable, well equipped, very well finished, cavernous inside for a medium hatchback and feels like a much more grown up car to drive. £15,000 will buy a good Mk7, although I have a 2015 GTD my recommendation would be the 2.0 TDI GT, its softer to drive and not much slower. The DSG gearbox is brilliant.

I’ve managed to get all manner of bikes in the back with the seats down and there is a vast selection of roof bars and bike carriers available.
Test drove a 2017 1.5 petrol GT (bit of flashy trim on a standard 1.5) I thought it felt very linear and a bit gutless. Having owned the GTD you have which was superb and very quick I was disheartened at how sluggish the petrol felt. Main reason I went for the GTI because I wanted a petrol car but with more go like the GTD... The GTI is a great everyday car, family car, but exciting to drive if you want

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Depends which of your requirements is most important,? Not a small hatch, or, really a car, more a van with windows, but, how about a Citroen Berlingo (or its equivalent Fiat/Puegot model).

Gunk

Guru
Test drove a 2017 1.5 petrol GT (bit of flashy trim on a standard 1.5) I thought it felt very linear and a bit gutless. Having owned the GTD you have which was superb and very quick I was disheartened at how sluggish the petrol felt. Main reason I went for the GTI because I wanted a petrol car but with more go like the GTD... The GTI is a great everyday car, family car, but exciting to drive if you want

I nearly pulled the trigger on a 2018 GTi performance DSG two weeks ago. I cooled off overnight, I decided to keep the GTD at least another year.

Top Bottom