Best Song Opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Foghat said:
Pack it in, FM. ;)

Now give us your critical appraisal of this intro to 'beat' all intros:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_ts0uDaVk

I'd agree with your appraisal of Hendrix, but that is dire. And the Screaming Blue Messiahs? Just a bit ho-hum really. Not bad, but hardly even candidates for best opening. For me, memorable openings make you stop and listen - whatever else happens later. Just being a bit loud or bombastic hardly cuts it for me.

Here's a great opening which works diferently but just as well both in the sample and the original.

And this is a great opening... both to film and song. You know who the man is as soon as the first note is played.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Rhythm Thief said:
That would have been an awful lot better if he'd tuned his guitar beforehand. I'm all for a bit of noise and guitar abuse, and there's some good bits in that, but from 0.25 to 1.12 his tuning's all over the place. And he's too stoned to remember to sing in the right places.:biggrin:
Good solo about 2.30 though.

As a muso and guitarist yourself, RT, I'm surprised at your ignorance here! ;)

Although the youtube clips never show it, the DVD does, and that Voodoo Child intro is immediately preceded by the most awe-inspiring blitzkrieged combination of onslaught musicality and downright cacophany of to-the-edge-of-the-neck string-bending and feedback-brink precision divebombs that inevitably sent the poor instrument some way out of tune. Check out the DVD to see how during the fiery pre-riff intro he, all with his left hand, plucks strings with plectrum, adjusts volume control and manipulates the tremelo arm ALL AT THE SAME TIME. A superb display of guitar mastery that seems to pass most people by because it occurs in the lead-up to the Voodoo riff.

Yet, despite the ferocious fretting having sent it way out of tune, he still delivers the riff in tune without re-tuning before having to sort it out when he can't escape the chord problems. This he does with aplomb, of course, before going on to render an exquisite array of sounds in a performance that had to wait to the early hours of the morning at the end of a long day waiting to play.

And the singing idiosyncrasies don't really matter - in fact live performances like this are all the better for a more casual approach to singing as the voice is after all just an intermittent accompaniment to the guitar (i.e. how it should be)!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
earlier I mentioned the Spencer Davis Group - what I should have done is put this song in the ring - I mean, what an extraordinary opening, and what a phenomenal song - probably the best white soul vocal ever from a still very young Steve Winwood.

Oh, and Foggy - great description of that part of the Hendrix gig. Whatever anyone says, there has simply never been anyone really like him before or since. I saw the cinema rerelease of the IoW gig back-to-back with Monterey - what a double bill!

RT - I totally agree on the Pixies. Joseph Alberto Santiago is a great guitarist.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Fab Foodie;457427][quote=Rhythm Thief said:
Zadok the Priest - Handel - just to show I don't only listen to noisy rock music. That bit where the choir kick in is amazing.

QUOTE]

Great Call, I hadn't thought to add Classical music. Have you ever sung it? I have several times in my youth. It's truly awesome to be part of a large choir with a full orchestra, listening to that long and windy intro that you feel is about to come to a halt just in time for you to let rip with all your might at the top of your register those big opening notes... after a few bars it goes into a completely different rhythmn.

The opening to "I was Glad" by Parry is similar too, great intro and vocal chord shattering opening. Great stuff good choral music.

This versions a bit pedestrian, but you get the idea...

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_8GJ2CWjQSc

Specially for you, Fab Foodie and for Rhythm Thief,
From Bach's Mass in B minor

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONZ1xgCFf30

For anyone else, this is very light ;)

Foghat

Flying_Monkey said:
earlier I mentioned the Spencer Davis Group - what I should have done is put this song in the ring - I mean, what an extraordinary opening, and what a phenomenal song

It is good. Have you heard the opening to Tumble Down Tenement Row on their Live in Europe CD? One of the most uplifting, optimistic openings I've ever heard. Sadly not on youtube.

Whatever anyone says, there has simply never been anyone really like him before or since. I saw the cinema rerelease of the IoW gig back-to-back with Monterey - what a double bill!

Indeed - and now I've pointed it out (no one I speak to ever seems to have noticed it), re-watch the pre-Voodoo explosion, scrutinising his left hand closely to be truly amazed!

I like the speed-painting of his face at the start of the Monterey film.

Foghat

Flying_Monkey said:
I'd agree with your appraisal of Hendrix, but that is dire.
Now answer assuming George Monbiot or Nelson Mandela had posted it instead of me! ;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Foghat said:
Now answer assuming George Monbiot or Nelson Mandela had posted it instead of me! ;)

Even if Jesus and the Buddha had arrived together on a tandem and given me a gold DVD of that opening, it would still me dull. :biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I was in Trondheim, Norway once. Arrived at the Cathedral there to find that a concert would be starting shortly. A concert of Bach's music played on an organ very similar to the one that Bach would have used to compose his music on. Wonderful. ;) The ecoustics were also magnificent.

Foghat

Foghat said:
Indeed - and now I've pointed it out (no one I speak to ever seems to have noticed it), re-watch the pre-Voodoo explosion, scrutinising his left hand closely to be truly amazed!

Good news! I found it on youtube, tacked onto the end of the preceding song, Purple Haze.

Jump to 3'00" for the start of the pyrotechnics, and at 3'21", watch really closely to try to figure out just what on earth he's doing. Incredible.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bC9smz-5PHU

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Can I suggest another one, completly opposite to my first (classical music) one. The theme tune to the Grand Prix programme, the name of the group and the tune has gone completely out of my head. Some one on here will know. ;)

Top Bottom