Best stem for comfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Huggis

I am building up a new road bike and currently researching my seatpost, bars and stem. However there seems to be very little information on which stems are best for soaking up road buzz. Anyone for any recommendations or come acrosss any tests?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not heard of stems reducing buzz. I'd go for thicker tape, lizardskins 3.2 for me

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I am building up a new road bike and currently researching my seatpost, bars and stem. However there seems to be very little information on which stems are best for soaking up road buzz. Anyone for any recommendations or come acrosss any tests?
A stem is a stem, it has no suspension or damping properties, unless you buy one with such a system built in. If you need a softer ride experiment with tyres and their pressures, don't fall for the crap journalists in the magazines spout about this frame or these handlebars being more comfortable than those over there.

BTW, I've been cycling for over half a century and none of the countless bikes I've owned have ever buzzed. Maybe I've just been lucky?

D

Deleted member 1258

A stem is a stem, it has no suspension or damping properties, unless you buy one with such a system built in. If you need a softer ride experiment with tyres and their pressures, don't fall for the crap journalists in the magazines spout about this frame or these handlebars being more comfortable than those over there.

BTW, I've been cycling for over half a century and none of the countless bikes I've owned have ever buzzed. Maybe I've just been lucky?

You're not alone, over forty years of cycling and I've never come across road buzz either.

Last edited by a moderator:

e-rider

crappy member
you might find someone who claims carbon fiber will reduce road buzz but I'd say that's BS outside of any high tech lab experiment
focus your efforts on gettin gthe correct length and rise as too long too low too high and too short will all be uncomfortable

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I do know what road buzz is and it isn't nice! It's the vibration that comes through the bike from riding over roads covered in that rough chip-and-seal surface dressing. The vibrations made my fillings hurt and my hands and feet go numb, as well as making my bike sound like it was shaking itself to pieces.

The solution wasn't a new stem though, it was as @Smokin Joe suggested - looking at tyres and pressures. Changing from 23C tyres at 100+ psi to 25C tyres at 80-90 psi made all the difference. And that is on a very stiff oversized alumininium frame with a very stiff stem and stiff oversized bars. Oh, and as @vickster suggested, thicker, more-cushioned bar tape helps too.

dim

road buzz does exist

ride a road bike with aluminium forks on a bumpy road and you will soon find out when your fillings fall out ... carbon does dampen out a lot of the 'buzz' .... I used to own a cheap aluminium Carrera road bike with aluminium forks

My specialized has carbon handlebars, carbon handlebar stem and a carbon seat post and I would say that it has less vibrations/buzz than my Surly LHT steel bike that has wider tyres

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
road buzz does exist

ride a road bike with aluminium forks on a bumpy road and you will soon find out when your fillings fall out ...
I've ridden all steel, all aluminium, alu/carbon and all carbon and never found one that was harsher or more comfortable than the other. Frame geometry, tyre and tube quality and pressures are what dictates the ride, not materials.

Drago

Legendary Member
Your not alone, over forty years of cycling and I've never come across road buzz either.
It's a fairly recent phenomenon originating in roadie magazines to give them something to get moist over with carbon frames. This is despite carbon supposedly being stiffer and lighter, which actually makes it less efficient as a damping medium than a more forgiving, heavier/denser material.

Its fairy dust.

In answer to the OPs question, there is no such thing. In terms of damping properties a stem is a stem, and you want a stem as stiff as possible for safety and efficiency reasons, and such stiffness is at odds with any damping requirement. Joe is wise when he says other shizzle like tyres will make the biggest difference to such characteristics.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

It's a fairly recent phenomenon originating in roadie magazines to give them something to get moist over with carbon frames. This js despite carbon supposedly being stiffer and lighter, which actually makes it less efficient as a damping medium than a more forgiving, heavier/denser material.

Its fairy dust.

I wondered why people have only been talking about road buzz in the last couple of years and only on forums, we weren't talking about it twenty thirty years ago and its not been a subject of conversation on the cafe stops

OP
OP
H

Huggis

Thanks all..as noted it's the buzz which comes from the chip seal roads found all around where I live in Scotland. It's again unusual that there is much confirmation of the damping effects of carbon whether used in frames, bars or seatpost (yes some are better than others) yet the poor stem seems to get no such attention.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've asked on many forums and even a letter to a roadie magazine, and no one has yet explained how a lighter, stiffer material had better damping properties. To be so would be against some of the most fundamental physical laws.

S-Express

Thanks all..as noted it's the buzz which comes from the chip seal roads found all around where I live in Scotland. It's again unusual that there is much confirmation of the damping effects of carbon whether used in frames, bars or seatpost (yes some are better than others) yet the poor stem seems to get no such attention.

Just let 5psi out of your tyres, that should do the trick. In terms of stems, one lump of welded aluminium tube is pretty much like another. None of them will 'soak up road buzz', because as pointed out, it is physically impossible.

The 'damping effects of carbon' is one of the great myths perpetrated by reviewers in cycling mags.

Top Bottom