Best strategy - eBay auction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
You fell for it then....:evil:

Ah but I did not actually tell you my usual amounts...the £71.23 highest bid was on an auction where I turned out to be the only bidder, so I was reasonably comfortable! 😆

Bid low and then put a silly 'highest bid' at the last moment. Simples.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That's the whole "doing your homework" thing.

One particular thing that plagues the motor racing memorabilia listings are autograph cards, where the signatures are (mostly) genuine but the cards are complete fabrications. There's a couple of German sellers that are the worst culprits on those.

Plates and signs are rife with it here in the railway world. You need to know exactly what you are looking at.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Indeed!

There is a certain art to it all. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes you get called out, but it is all part of the fight.

It's always best to bid on Ebay with a "win some, lose some" attitude. Just enjoy the process. It's a silly game that can be quite fun once in a while. If you want the item that badly, buy it in a retail outlet.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Very definitely. And photoshopped i.e. fabricated photographs.

Fortunately what I collect is somewhat left-of-field, so far less chicanery likely. But as you say, you do need to know what you're looking at. Being a nerd really does help.

These are just things someone has cobbled together in their garage or has moulded something badly... Complete with a bit of 'real' wear.
The back of, say, a sign, tells you more about it than the front sometimes.

The rise of themed Pubs and other places have not helped as these twats play up to it and ignorant buyers.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Many of the things the bids go up to aren't worth a fraction of the bids. I tried it a few years ago, but stopped when I lost out on a 'bargain'. :rolleyes: Now, If I see a fleabay item I fancy, I sigh in disappointment if I can't just buy it there and then and look elsewhere, refusing to get involved in a ends in 5 days, 6 hours, 48 seconds bidding war.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Some of the things the bids go up to aren't worth a fraction of the bids. I tried it a few years ago, but stopped when I lost out on a 'bargain'. :rolleyes: Now, If I see a fleabay item I fancy, I sigh in disappointment if I can't just buy it there and then and look elsewhere, refusing to get involved in a ends in 5 days, 6 hours, 48 seconds bidding war.

It helps if you 'know' the item, so you can make informed choices (or educated guesses), to be fair.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
By the way, if anyone fancies a fake Rolex Yachtmaster, like this real one, but..
master_40_steel_everose_gold_chocolate_dial_116621.jpg
but ...er not quite as good :whistle: and doesn't want to get involved in a fleabay bidding war, feel free to PM me as my neighbour's very dodgy fake is going on a fleabay auction in the next few days. We can do a deal, without getting involved in silly bidding wars.:secret:

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
These are often things you can't buy retail though.

I suspect that the idea of "a bargain" drives some people to incredible stupidity. Ten years ago I witnessed a mad bidding war between two (obviously testosterone/coke fuelled) City individuals for an incredibly naff ski suit. It cost the victor more than the retail price. The process was more important than the prize.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I suspect that the idea of "a bargain" drives some people to incredible stupidity. Ten years ago I witnessed a mad bidding war between two (obviously testosterone/coke fuelled) City individuals for an incredibly naff ski suit. It cost the victor more than the retail price. The process was more important than the prize.

Yes sometimes it is all just a game.

You need to be careful when it gets to that level!

Top Bottom