Best strategy - eBay auction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
By the way, if anyone fancies a fake Rolex Yachtmaster, like this real one, but..
View attachment 702320 but ...er not quite as good :whistle: and doesn't want to get involved in a fleabay bidding war, feel free to PM me as my neighbour's very dodgy fake is going on a fleabay auction in the next few days. We can do a deal, without getting involved in silly bidding wars.:secret:

Horrible chunky thing, no thanks. 🤪

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Horrible chunky thing, no thanks. 🤪

You'd like it if seen in the flesh. How about a ton and buyer pays the return postage, if not happy deal? 🧐

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
One of the jewellers in town is an agent for those Swiss railway watches. They're actually kind of cool - in a Ronseal way.

I dislike chunky watches, I like the slight and understated look.

When you realise that the Swiss Railways watches are based on a station clock, they make more sense.

But as with anything on the 'bay, you just need to do your homework, and you need a LOT of patience.

'Aint that the truth!!

Last edited:
I suspect that the idea of "a bargain" drives some people to incredible stupidity. Ten years ago I witnessed a mad bidding war between two (obviously testosterone/coke fuelled) City individuals for an incredibly naff ski suit. It cost the victor more than the retail price. The process was more important than the prize.

That's true of any auction though, not just ebay. In a way, it's much like gambling in order to get that adrenaline rush.

The two items I did get into a bunfight for because I *wasn't* going to let them go, was a stock car yearbook from 1984 that I know had a very limited print run and a pair of Derek Warwick's race boots that came with a letter of provenance. I still got the latter well below my maximum bid so it wasn't too bad.

I dislike chunky watches, Rolexes' like Accie's is about as appealing as a cup of cold sick, sorry. I like the slight and understated look.

When you realise that the Swiss Railways watches are based on a station clock, they make more sense.

IIRC the second hand stops for two seconds on the minute. Those Mondaine watches are rather cool, shame they don't seem to do a mechanical one. I'm with you on that Fauxlex, it's bloody awful. I also like clean, simple and classic when it comes to watches. And jewellery for that matter. These are three of mine, L to R, Tissot Seastar automatic, Seiko Salvia, Zitura.

NR1F7270_small.jpg

'Aint that the truth!!

Damn straight. :smile:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
One of my earliest ebay bids was for a Mondaine railway watch. It packed up a couple of years later but it was fun bidding for the knock-off and looked great while it lasted.

I have some old ones, so sorry to hear of your loss, although, I do have a wall clock version which has had some issues (but that is the stock mechanism, not the actual clock). It's a bit of a pain.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Buying sh*t from the internet instructions:
1) Suppose there are occasions where I might try WIsh or Temu, but it's generally nasty.
2) Amazon - much better for customer service
3) John Lewis - good stuff, good warranty, often a better price than expected
4) "Buy it now" from ebay
5) Last and least is an ebay auction. I go in late with a maximum bid in the last 5 seconds or so. Usually works.

But have recently become a fan of Facebook Marketplace. Kind of like virtually poking my nose into people's lofts, cupboards and sheds to see if they're hoarding as much shite as me. Some good prices on there.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
IIRC the second hand stops for two seconds on the minute. Those Mondaine watches are rather cool, shame they don't seem to do a mechanical one. I'm with you on that Fauxlex, it's bloody awful. I also like clean, simple and classic when it comes to watches. And jewellery for that matter. These are three of mine, L to R, Tissot Seastar automatic, Seiko Salvia, Zitura.

View attachment 702321

Damn straight. :smile:

They do produce a mechanical one. I've seen it on various sites.
I've had a Mondaine watch, a quartz one and it was nothing to write home about. I got it cheap in a sale for I think £60 and I sold it a year later on Ebay for more. What I will say about it was it was light on the wrist, I dont like heavy watches.

Mike_P

Guru
I decide beforehand what the maximum I want to pay is and put a bid in in the last five seconds. .

5 seconds sounds a bit short as there is the time taken for the system to record the bid and leaving it so late in my experience means the auction has timed out before the bid has been recorded.

Mike_P

Guru
Many of the things the bids go up to aren't worth a fraction of the bids. I tried it a few years ago, but stopped when I lost out on a 'bargain'. :rolleyes: Now, If I see a fleabay item I fancy, I sigh in disappointment if I can't just buy it there and then and look elsewhere, refusing to get involved in a ends in 5 days, 6 hours, 48 seconds bidding war.

Put a watch on the item instead of bidding and see whether in 5 days 6 hours time it's still worth bidding on.

Last edited:
I bought an old bike on the bay . I had been watching it as it had a low start price . I was about to place a bid to get the ball rolling but someone beat me to it ! I was a bit angry and wondered how much they had bid and thought I would nudge it up a bit . I bid £1 higher than the previous bid and was surprised to be winning ! As I had raised the bid on my tablet which isn't that secure for paying I would have to bid against myself again on our laptop . The bike had a couple more days to run and I expected it to end in a bidding frenzy . I waited to the last day and bid a couple of hours before the end with a couple of higher bids in reserve . I didn't watch the end result as we were doing other things . I was surprised to see later that I had won and had been the only bidder. I felt sorry for the chap I bought it from as it was a really nice bike .

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
By the way, if anyone fancies a fake Rolex Yachtmaster, like this real one, but..
View attachment 702320 but ...er not quite as good :whistle: and doesn't want to get involved in a fleabay bidding war, feel free to PM me as my neighbour's very dodgy fake is going on a fleabay auction in the next few days. We can do a deal, without getting involved in silly bidding wars.:secret:

I haven’t worn a watch since 1994, when my watch came off my wrist whilst rock climbing, and my options were try and save the watch or stay attached to the rock.

stephec

Legendary Member
I think that the time an auction ends can also have some bearing as well.

Not long ago I was watching a Barbour jacket that was listed as in almost new condition, not the kind of thing that's popular in a hot July, and even better was that it finished at 09:30 on a Sunday morning.

I messaged the guy and he told me that he'd worn it a few times and then stuck it in the wardrobe, so pretty much like new.

This was a jacket with a retail value of £280 and the starting price on this auction was £45, one cheeky little bid by me was the only one and when it arrived it was as described, pretty much mint condition.

Top Bottom