Best thing about commuting in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
This evenings commute home was the 22nd rainy ride of the year out of 330 commutes.
Much drier then last year where I had 45 over all.
Sorry, I keep statistics of these things.
You commute more than me he he :tongue:
But yeah I've been lucky this year, last year was wetter.

OP
OP
simonsch

simonsch

So the Worst Thing was putting on my still wet cycling gear at the end of the day - with the heating not on yet, it had not dried out (at all).

@ianrauk: there are more than 23 days left in the year... Let's wait and see...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Long traffic queues. Always much worse in the wet. I love thinking about the extra 15 minutes I am going to have at home compared with if I'd driven in.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
This evenings commute home was the 22nd rainy ride of the year out of 330 commutes.
Much drier then last year where I had 45 over all.
Sorry, I keep statistics of these things.

Our lass things you are nuts. :laugh: (She was commenting on the data I record and I told her about you recording the weather on your commutes)

Nocode

I track and upload every ride I do with my garmin, I then tag the ride as (w) for wet and (p) for when I puncture. Data collection can certainly be very gratifying!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I track and upload every ride I do with my garmin, I then tag the ride as (w) for wet and (p) for when I puncture. Data collection can certainly be very gratifying!

MyCyclingLog is great for tagging stuff like that.

Wolf616

Über Member
Having only started cycling at the end of May I'm still absurdly keen to cycle into the wet and cold winter. The only problem is not having a shower at work; for those of you with this problem, how do you cope? Asking management to get a shower sorted is not an option, unfortunately. My commute is only 3 miles currently, which is easy and won't cause too much of a problem even in a torrential downpour, but soon it will be 10 miles + and not having a shower will be an absolute pain in the arse

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Having only started cycling at the end of May I'm still absurdly keen to cycle into the wet and cold winter. The only problem is not having a shower at work; for those of you with this problem, how do you cope? Asking management to get a shower sorted is not an option, unfortunately. My commute is only 3 miles currently, which is easy and won't cause too much of a problem even in a torrential downpour, but soon it will be 10 miles + and not having a shower will be an absolute pain in the arse

My commute is 20 miles in the morning and have no shower.
My routine is as follows.

Shower in the morning
Clean cycling clothes every single day
At work.
Quick washdown in the bogs sink and a rub down with scented babywipes. A couple of those and it's job done..

But I am one of those lucky souls who doesn't sweat a lot. If you are a sweater then I would suggest taking it much easier on your ride in.

Winter riding is usually a lot drier then one expects. Far drier then the summer and autumn months.

Lonestar

Veteran
Not having to walk through the wall of smoke to get to the bike racks at Waterloo Station.

I remember using the racks there although I don't have to anymore and it was bloody disgusting with discarded lager cans and the smell of urine.After locking my bike up this morning I had to walk the long way to the station as it was so early and the tube entrance wasn't open and I chanced across about 50000 dog ends all over the pavement.Absolutely disgusting.

OP
OP
simonsch

simonsch

that really really annoys me. especially as there are signs saying please do not smoke here .

So while there are signs at the station building, there are no signs at the bike racks themselves. However (I have had a bit of an email argument with NetworkRail about it), that is also NetworkRail premises, and smoking is banned on all parts of their premises. However, they say "neither they nor the police have the resources to police this". It would help for a start if they would put up a no-smoking sign, as I am sure that most of the smokers believe it is OK. NetworkRail and SWT staff are of course frequently standing there smoking.

subaqua

What’s the point
So while there are signs at the station building, there are no signs at the bike racks themselves. However (I have had a bit of an email argument with NetworkRail about it), that is also NetworkRail premises, and smoking is banned on all parts of their premises. However, they say "neither they nor the police have the resources to police this". It would help for a start if they would put up a no-smoking sign, as I am sure that most of the smokers believe it is OK. NetworkRail and SWT staff are of course frequently standing there smoking.
there is a sign just under the canopy on the walkway.

Top Bottom