1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best thing for sunburn if the chemist is closed?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Melvil, 4 Aug 2007.

1. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Been to an outdoor event today and suffice to say the wily scottish weather done for me again! Because it was windy I didn't realise how burnt I was getting and now my (very short-haired) head resembles a tomato and it hurts :rolleyes::blush:!.

Trouble is, the chemists round my way, so do you know of any home cures to stop peeling?

Mel.

2. chris42

chris42 New Member

cool shower to take the heat out then damp tea towel on it
    any moisturisure

3. OP
    OP
    Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Aye, sounds like a plan!

I also heard that cold milk soaked in a towel is good for sunburn but I just can't bring myself to do that...

4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman New Member

Standard moisturising cream/milk especially if it's got that coconut stuff in it (and you'll smell 'nice too :rolleyes:)

5. The Velvet Curtain

The Velvet Curtain Living La Mala Vida

Slap it really hard repeatedly, failing that use the old girls moisturiser as it will help stop the skin drying out.

6. CycleWidow

CycleWidow New Member

Hello,
    natural yoghurt is the best thing for sunburn, will be a tad messy on the ol' noggin' but I can guarantee relief from the stinging and heat sensations.

7. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

IF you happen to have any Aloe vera growing near you, cut some off and smear the mucousy-like stuff over the affected area.
    I don't think dock leaves work the same way!

8. Noodley

Noodley Guest

You could run around the streets really quickly creating your own cool breeze.

9. OP
    OP
    Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

have tried most of the above and am crossing my fingers in hope of not peeling like a muppet come monday!

10. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

We wants photos - before, during and after treatment :rolleyes: (especially during :biggrin::biggrin:)

Just as well you weren't wearing your cycle helmet - Red Zebra Syndrome - I can see it now :blush::sad:;)

11. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Olive oil.

12. longers

longers Veteran

My grandad served in the Navy on a patrol boat in the Med during WW2 and they were told that hot water was the best thing for sunburn. As hot as you can stand it. I don't understand this as I thought cold water would draw the heat as someone previously posted. Does anyone know how the hot water thing works?

13. chris42

chris42 New Member

This was a punishment for not keeping their shirts on and getting burnt?
    This WILL make it worse. The only thing I could think of that was even more painful would be spraying with deep heat!

14. longers

longers Veteran

I think it was more likely a punishment for dropping stiches, they did a lot of knitting apparently.

15. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

On the few occasions when I have been severely sun-burnt I took a hot (but bearable) shower and it did actually take the sting out of the burn.
    Get some calomine (sp).