Best thing for sunburn if the chemist is closed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Been to an outdoor event today and suffice to say the wily scottish weather done for me again! Because it was windy I didn't realise how burnt I was getting and now my (very short-haired) head resembles a tomato and it hurts :rolleyes::blush:!.

Trouble is, the chemists round my way, so do you know of any home cures to stop peeling?

Mel.

chris42

cool shower to take the heat out then damp tea towel on it
any moisturisure

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Aye, sounds like a plan!

I also heard that cold milk soaked in a towel is good for sunburn but I just can't bring myself to do that...

TVC

Slap it really hard repeatedly, failing that use the old girls moisturiser as it will help stop the skin drying out.

CycleWidow

Hello,
natural yoghurt is the best thing for sunburn, will be a tad messy on the ol' noggin' but I can guarantee relief from the stinging and heat sensations.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

have tried most of the above and am crossing my fingers in hope of not peeling like a muppet come monday!

longers

Legendary Member
My grandad served in the Navy on a patrol boat in the Med during WW2 and they were told that hot water was the best thing for sunburn. As hot as you can stand it. I don't understand this as I thought cold water would draw the heat as someone previously posted. Does anyone know how the hot water thing works?

chris42

This was a punishment for not keeping their shirts on and getting burnt?
This WILL make it worse. The only thing I could think of that was even more painful would be spraying with deep heat!

longers

Legendary Member
I think it was more likely a punishment for dropping stiches, they did a lot of knitting apparently.

longers said:
My grandad served in the Navy on a patrol boat in the Med during WW2 and they were told that hot water was the best thing for sunburn. As hot as you can stand it. I don't understand this as I thought cold water would draw the heat as someone previously posted. Does anyone know how the hot water thing works?

On the few occasions when I have been severely sun-burnt I took a hot (but bearable) shower and it did actually take the sting out of the burn.
Get some calomine (sp).

Top Bottom