Best time of year to buy new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

levarg

Regular
Manufacturers tend to update models or bring out new ones each year. Assuming I'm not too bothered if I'm getting the older model, when is the best time of year to buy?
I'm wondering when does the change to the next year's model actually take place, so I'm looking for discounts or deals on the outgoing models.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends what it is and the size you want? And the budget you have.

November/Jan/Feb probably best for roadbikes

There are some online retailers who have good prices on previous year models but often in less popular sizes (ie v small or v large)

It’s not as predictable as other retail although some do jump on the Black Friday bandwagon

Drago

Legendary Member
Probably no firm answer. Manufacturers can announce next year's models as early as March, and have them I the showrooms as early as July, but some don't, so it's difficult to say when you can score last year's model at a knockdown price.

Keep an eye on the websites of Paul's Cycles, Wiggle, Evans etc as They're often good for outgoing models deals. Pay by credit card for the consumer protection if you buy from Evans.

OP
OP
levarg

levarg

Regular
Yes, I suppose it's difficult to put a firm time on it as the different manufacturer's operate in different ways. Thanks anyway.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, I suppose it's difficult to put a firm time on it as the different manufacturer's operate in different ways. Thanks anyway.
Just keep an eye on the bikes are wanting to buy. What makes or models are you keen on? What sort of budget? Obviously the biggest £ discounts will be on high end models (the percentage tends to be around the same, maybe 15-30%)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought one in December, and another in January, three years later. The longer you leave it, the better the price tends to be, but you run the risk of not being able to find the size you want. The bikes were a Specialized from Cycle Surgery and a Cinelli from Spa Cycles.

Good luck.

Smudge

Veteran
Always worth hanging on until the black friday weekend (23rd Nov). I bought my Raleigh Pioneer Ebike on last years BF, paid £650 for it.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Just before you need one / another one

Top Bottom