Best tour bike for around £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny1502

Hi,
I am planning on doing the Southern Europe part of the Eurovelo 1. I’m planning on doing it in around 8-10 weeks and need to get a decent bike. Not sure what is best for the money I have, any suggestions would be welcomed

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You have set a very difficult question because you can tour on anything from a beaten up steel bike from the 50s to a modern touring bike. Drop bars, flat bars? Going fast or pootling. Tent and all the gear or hostels, hotels and B&Bs. It all makes a difference on what bike you choose.

I have a Koga World Traveller 29 for sale. It is in excellent condition with a Brooks B17 saddle and a set of Ortleib back rollers. I am not using and it is just sitting under a cover in the workshop. If it is something you may be interested in drop me a line. Your price will cover the cost of the bike and shipping.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
as @steveindenmark said , not long ago i sold a late 90 Giant road bike to a student who used it to cycle down to his parents villa in Italy and back all his luggage and gear went in a decent size saddle bag the bike had no fittings for a rack or guards but he toured more miles on that bike than it had done since new .

So yes you can tour on anything you decide your choice

Crankarm

Guru
Hi,
I am planning on doing the Southern Europe part of the Eurovelo 1. I’m planning on doing it in around 8-10 weeks and need to get a decent bike. Not sure what is best for the money I have, any suggestions would be welcomed

By decent I guess you mean not indecent?

The best bike is one that fits you. Do you know what frame size you typically require for a road bike and a MTB respectively? This is a start.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you go a bit over a grand you could get one of these,

mdb-20669_20669-0.jpg

Ridgeback 'Panorama'

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Or buy the Ridgeback Voyage for £750.
I've done loads of miles on mine since I bought it 2 years ago.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3200/RIDGEBACK-Voyage
Nice, I think they've gone aluminium on the newer ones :thumbsdown: but if that is still available then it's a bargain (plus it ain't got fugly discs :thumbsup:)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unfortunately Danny there is no ‘best bike for the money’ simply because there now such a bewildering choice of options. Much of it comes down to personal preference and price. I would go for a quality steel frame and forks, combined brake/gear shifters, drop bars and disc brakes. Most will now have discs.

The Panorama suggested by raleighnut is a good one but they have some cheaper options if you feel that is too pricey: https://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/touring

Something else to consider, you don’t necessarily need rack and panniers, there is now a trend for ‘bikepacking’ meaning everything is carried in packs attached to the frame/bars/seat tube. It means you travel lighter with better weight distribution but forces you to take just the essentials and it also opens up the choice of bikes. Loads of videos on YouTube.

60271A94-6DB1-4B7C-8E26-923ED2A795B9.jpeg

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Last edited:
Top Bottom