Best tour bike for around £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
You could do worse than a Jamis Aurora. You may even find an Aurora Elite at the right price.
In budget but only limited sizes for the smaller or taller rider

https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-aurora-elite-2017-touring-bike-EV275160

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans are good for test rides. OP could order one of the three sizes in if he thinks they might be suitable. Of course if he's 5'8 he's likely out of luck

jay clock

Massive member
You could do worse than a Jamis Aurora. You may even find an Aurora Elite at the right price.
You buggers. I am now looking at one of these tomorrow. May be too big - but got one reserved in a 57cm..... Watch this space.....

It ticks most of the boxes. I would change the tyres for Schwlabe Marathon Plus, and put Brooks or Spoon on... But should be more comfy for my trip across the USA.

It does mean I will need to do a few more training rides to be certain I have it set up etc

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You buggers. I am now looking at one of these tomorrow. May be too big - but got one reserved in a 57cm..... Watch this space.....

It ticks most of the boxes. I would change the tyres for Schwlabe Marathon Plus, and put Brooks or Spoon on... But should be more comfy for my trip across the USA.

It does mean I will need to do a few more training rides to be certain I have it set up etc
The semi-proprietory Jamis stem can be swapped for a bog standard aheadstem and spacers. Or you can get a different Jamis-like one from a Dahon dealer. Unless Evans have changed they don't stock the Jamis stems.

jay clock

Massive member
The semi-proprietory Jamis stem can be swapped for a bog standard aheadstem and spacers. Or you can get a different Jamis-like one from a Dahon dealer. Unless Evans have changed they don't stock the Jamis stems.
useful tip.. I suspect (if not massively too big generally) that I may need a shorter stem

I am a sucker for looks (!) and I love the black finish. New 2018 model not half as nice.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
useful tip.. I suspect (if not massively too big generally) that I may need a shorter stem

I am a sucker for looks (!) and I love the black finish. New 2018 model not half as nice.
Mine is in a revolting shade of gippy tummy brown.

Crankarm

Guru
The extremely popular Surly LHT disc. The preferred choice for long distance touring cyclists. A little over budget but worth it. Buy cheap buy twice. Bonus hand built wheels by Spa so they will last a long long time and be strong and true.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3033/SURLY-Disc-Trucker

You have to get a disc brake bike bike as rim brakes are so old technology and grind down your bike's wheel rims so eventually the wheels typically rear is worn out and knackered meaning they split meaning new wheel time, new wheel build. Probably end of trip. Get a bike with disc brakes. No more worn out rims. Also far better braking performance in both dry and wet conditions so you stop much better which can be important when your bike is fully loaded and heavy going down a steep hill or mountain.

Last edited:
Worth a look if you are OK with 26 inch wheels and like the idea of discs.

https://www.evanscycles.com/ridgeback-expedition-2018-touring-bike-EV320450

You may be able to pick up a discounted 2017 model.

My 2016 model cost £700 new and I love it to bits. Not disc but I prefer that personally.

Comes with a passably decent rear rack that I think would survive this trip. As would the wheels, especially if you had them checked over pre departure. You can always upgrade later.

Also worth checking online ads and ebay. Not unkown for folks to buy a nice tourer for a planned trip of a lifetime which has to be cancelled because of other life events/entanglements.

jay clock

Massive member
OK just to confuse things, having tried a 57cm Jamis it was far too big. They now do have a 53 in stock. So ordered one but it may be too small. Certainly standover height will be a lot better.

Will pick up in two weeks when back from business trip

jay clock

Massive member
OK just to confuse things, having tried a 57cm Jamis it was far too big. They now do have a 53 in stock. So ordered one but it may be too small. Certainly standover height will be a lot better.

Will pick up in two weeks when back from business trip
OK change of plan again. I think 53 is too small! Cancelled and sticking with Koga!

pclay

Veteran
Top Bottom