Best tour bike for around £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
OK just to confuse things, having tried a 57cm Jamis it was far too big. They now do have a 53 in stock. So ordered one but it may be too small. Certainly standover height will be a lot better.

Will pick up in two weeks when back from business trip
Serious question

What's a la mode for standover height on our fine islands these days? How many fingers?

I ask because around Vancouver everyone* rides a garden gate with a horizontal top tube and only a couple of inches of seatpost showing. (Which is my preference on a touring style bike, as it happens)

*those that I saw, during a two-week visit, in the depths of winter.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Serious question

What's a la mode for standover height on our fine islands these days? How many fingers?
I don’t think we’re talking fingers here but something rather more tender.

I agree with you gregory that maybe a horizontal tube looks more aesthetically pleasing when you stand back to admire your mount, but for actually mounting the thing i much prefer sloping.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I agree with you gregory that maybe a horizontal tube looks more aesthetically pleasing when you stand back to admire your mount, but for actually mounting the thing i much prefer sloping.
I swing a leg over the rear wheel and saddle myself. Never been able to vault a crossbar.

And once standing over, enough clearance for the unmentionables is, well, enough. And enough is a very small amount.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don’t think we’re talking fingers here but something rather more tender.
I was told four fingers is more than enough. Some people with small hands have room for four hands.

I make do with "four fingers or less, but at least one thank you very much.".

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Serious question

I ask because around Vancouver everyone* rides a garden gate with a horizontal top tube and only a couple of inches of seatpost showing. (Which is my preference on a touring style bike, as it happens)

*those that I saw, during a two-week visit, in the depths of winter.

My Surly DT sounds almost as you describe. If anything, the top tube is a tiny bit too long for me (others have said this about DTs too) Standover height is ‘just out of harm’s way’. I shortened the stem a bit and now I can sit on that bike all day long. And longer occasionally.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

Ooh now you see, one man’s meat and all that: I prefer the aesthetics of a sloping top tube. My Surly DT has an almost horizontal TT. You would like it.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Good call, taste of bespoke for off the peg money.

John_S

Über Member
Depending on where you are if you're anywhere close to Stanforth Bikes, I think that they're in Brighton, perhaps speak to them because they sometimes have some ex-display / ex-demo bikes which might sometimes possibly just scrape into your budget.

https://www.stanforthbikes.co.uk/shop

Good luck finding the right tourer for your travels.

John

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Depending on where you are if you're anywhere close to Stanforth Bikes, I think that they're in Brighton, perhaps speak to them because they sometimes have some ex-display / ex-demo bikes which might sometimes possibly just scrape into your budget.

https://www.stanforthbikes.co.uk/shop

Good luck finding the right tourer for your travels.

John
I've watched Stanforth for a while and even their ex-dems scrape rather above the OP's budget, I think.

Top Bottom