1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best tour bike for around £1000

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Danny1502, 8 Jan 2018.

1. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

OK change of plan again. I think 53 is too small! Cancelled and sticking with Koga!

2. pclay

pclay Über Member

Does anyone have a Holdsworth Elan or Stelvio?

3. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry More gruff than grumpy

Serious question

What's a la mode for standover height on our fine islands these days? How many fingers?

I ask because around Vancouver everyone* rides a garden gate with a horizontal top tube and only a couple of inches of seatpost showing. (Which is my preference on a touring style bike, as it happens)

*those that I saw, during a two-week visit, in the depths of winter.

raleighnut and Heltor Chasca like this.
  4. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

I don’t think we’re talking fingers here but something rather more tender.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  5. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

I agree with you gregory that maybe a horizontal tube looks more aesthetically pleasing when you stand back to admire your mount, but for actually mounting the thing i much prefer sloping.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  6. GrumpyGregry

I swing a leg over the rear wheel and saddle myself. Never been able to vault a crossbar.

And once standing over, enough clearance for the unmentionables is, well, enough. And enough is a very small amount.

raleighnut likes this.
  7. GrumpyGregry

I was told four fingers is more than enough. Some people with small hands have room for four hands.

I make do with "four fingers or less, but at least one thank you very much.".

8. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

My Surly DT sounds almost as you describe. If anything, the top tube is a tiny bit too long for me (others have said this about DTs too) Standover height is ‘just out of harm’s way’. I shortened the stem a bit and now I can sit on that bike all day long. And longer occasionally.

9. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Ooh now you see, one man’s meat and all that: I prefer the aesthetics of a sloping top tube. My Surly DT has an almost horizontal TT. You would like it.

Blue Hills likes this.
  10. cisamcgu

cisamcgu Veteran

11. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Über Member

12. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Cycleops likes this.
  13. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

The first thing I would want to know before buying a new touring bike, is it Rohloff compatible?:smile:

mjr likes this.
  14. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Ride it. Don't stand over it. If it's stopped and you want to stand over it, tilt it.

Nebulous and GrumpyGregry like this.
  15. John_S

John_S Well-Known Member

Depending on where you are if you're anywhere close to Stanforth Bikes, I think that they're in Brighton, perhaps speak to them because they sometimes have some ex-display / ex-demo bikes which might sometimes possibly just scrape into your budget.

https://www.stanforthbikes.co.uk/shop

Good luck finding the right tourer for your travels.

John